Anyone try this type of antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

I am curious how something like that works too.

Also, does that pick up all frequencies that the scanner is able to pick-up or is it a certain range?

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Suction cup antenna...

I had one of the these things... well the name ought to give you some indication of the performance... :)

At 15-inches it was fairly good with VHF (No surprises there), but only marginal with everything else--and that's being kind. I bought it because it was unique, but ended up giving it to my sister-in-law for her scanner...

The suction cup antenna was acutally worse than my through-glass antenna, that I just replaced--this very weekend--with an Austin Spectra w/nmo mount. Now that's an antenna!

Here's a link to the Austin if you think you might like one:

http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

ericksonmj

Junk......
Have one that came with a BCT-10 and its garbage, wont pick up anything on my PRO97, even the stock duckie on the 97 is better.

mjthomas59

It came with several of my scanners from the factory. It seemed to work better on VHF than the stock rubber duck antenna, although that is probably because it mounts in the window and i'm not going to put my handheld up in the front dash to receive better.

Best money you'll ever spend is on the Diamond RH77ca. Best antenna i've ever used. Just search the forums, i don't think anyone has ever said a bad thing about it.

xpawel15x

hoser147 said:
I really like the one radio shack used to carry, I just found them at another site and ordered one it has a BNC connector on the end instead of the wire, and you just use your antenna on it. Here is the link where I found them at. http://www.batteriesandgadgets.com/site/814130/product/20-022. Good Scannin Hoser

OMG bro I was looking for this as I have the same thing but I bought it from Universal Radio for twice the price! I was looking for a cheaper version of this. Thanks a lot ! Great find..

hoser147

Thats cool I couldn't find them on Universals site before, and thats how I found them on this batteriesand gadgets site. They are slow to ship and high on shipping, so you might want to go thru Universal. Ive got one and like using them both in the house and the car. Ive used it on the outside of the car and not had any problem going at freeway speeds, no antenna to mess with and kinda outa site, outa mind type deal, when your scanner is in the car. H:lol:ser

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
ericksonmj said:
Junk......
Have one that came with a BCT-10 and its garbage, wont pick up anything on my PRO97, even the stock duckie on the 97 is better.
maybe because a better antenna on it overloads it. the dummy duck doesn't receive as great. I have a pro97 so i know what i'm talking about. ISn't the BCT-10 a telescopic? if it is it should be better on VHF anyways

eric Burris kc0dt

Ghost4658

Diamond RH77ca

I have a Diamond RH77ca.
Not so happy with it, good on 155 & 450 but not so good on 800 trunk.
If you are going to scan 800 trunk go with the Radio Shack rs800 ant.

ericksonmj

blueangel-eric said:
maybe because a better antenna on it overloads it. the dummy duck doesn't receive as great. I have a pro97 so i know what i'm talking about. ISn't the BCT-10 a telescopic? if it is it should be better on VHF anyways

eric Burris kc0dt

Nope use a diamond RH77 when mobile and have 2 outside antennas that work great all the time.

3130243TW1L._AA280_.jpg

No telescopic here.

Attachments

• bct-10.jpg
    bct-10.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.