Emergency Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

My wife decided that we should take a ride to an outlet center (Jackson, NJ) on President's Day.

As I always do whenever we are traveling, I placed my 396 into my Totes shoulder bag, but somehow, neglected to include my antenna (a RS 800 mhz) .

Really down in the dumps, while in a store, I asked the clerk if he had a large paper clip. He gave me 2. I unfoled one (about 6" long) and it was a perfect fit for the female BNC to SMA adapter.

Radio was working like a champ. Now, I've clipped a couple of these clips to my bag (just in case).

AM

KE7JFF

My little emergency antenna I have in my glovebox of my car is a BNC male panel mount connector with a 5" or so piece of solid random wire on it and it works great.

kf4sci

ampulman said:
My wife decided that we should take a ride to an outlet center (Jackson, NJ) on President's Day.

As I always do whenever we are traveling, I placed my 396 into my Totes shoulder bag, but somehow, neglected to include my antenna (a RS 800 mhz) .

Really down in the dumps, while in a store, I asked the clerk if he had a large paper clip. He gave me 2. I unfoled one (about 6" long) and it was a perfect fit for the female BNC to SMA adapter.

Radio was working like a champ. Now, I've clipped a couple of these clips to my bag (just in case).

AM

Use EXTREME caution with that. The diameter of your paper clip wire may be larger than the center conductor of the SMA connector. If so it will open up the female side too far so that the regular antenna won't make good contact anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.