New Handheld Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

I'm new but have a new BC246T with the standard antenna. I bought an antenna at radio shack that has pull out sections and a load. It says to only use certain sections of the antenna for certain frequencies. Is there a way to tell if this antenna is better than the original? Can't I just leave it all the way out all the time?

N1BHH

I have one of those and it works fine by me. I have mine extended fully and that works okay. Use it, experiment with it and have fun. I only use it when I need to have the scanner nearby and the coax doesn't reach from the outdoor antenna.

kf4sci

Handheld Antenna

darticus said:
I'm new but have a new BC246T with the standard antenna. I bought an antenna at radio shack that has pull out sections and a load. It says to only use certain sections of the antenna for certain frequencies. Is there a way to tell if this antenna is better than the original? Can't I just leave it all the way out all the time?

Since you aren't transmitting you won't really notice a difference in performance leaving your antenna fully extended. However don't expect that to work in reverse. VHF reception will suffer using a shorter UHF antenna.

Your telescoping antenna "should" work better than the factory rubber one.

scootterpie

It all Depends

Generaly speaking, The shorter the antenna the higher the freq. For exanple 800 mhz will have a short antenna and 400 mhz a little longer and 29 mhz very long (cb antenna) I tried all kinds of antennas, I listen to mostly 800 mhz so the stubby works fine... Might I suggest lowering the antenna when monitoring 800 mhz... The pull it all the way out for lower mhz... It all depends all what you want to listen to most.

PS When your in the car, that is where you will need an antenna the most. I suggest a good mobile one

Status
Not open for further replies.