Home-made Rubber Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4sci

I tried this years ago and it worked great! I used a standard BNC connector, plastic filler tube for a toilet, the center conductor wire from 75 ohm (TV type) coax, some heat-shrink tubing, and a rubber cap.
Measure out the wire for the band you want. The formula is 234 or 468 divided by the center frequency in MHz. Multiply your answer times 12. The result is the length of wire in inches.
For example the two meter ham band is 144-148 MHz. The "center" frequency is 146 MHz. so 234 divided by 146 = 1.6027397. Now multiply 1.6027397 x 12 = 19.232876 inches. Roughly 19 1/4 inches.
Poke a hole in the wall of the plastic tube about 1.2" from one end. This end will become the base of your antenna.
Next feed the wire into the hole you just made until it comes out the bottom end. Pull enough through to easily solder the wire to the center of the BNC connector.
After the soldering is complete, keep slight tension on the wire and slide the tube over the end of the BNC connector. It should be a perfect press fit. Amazing huh?
Now wrap the wire around the plastic toilet tube forming your antenna coil. When the coil is complete temporarily hold it in place with a few wraps of electrical tape.
Trim off the excess plastic tube.
Finish off your new antenna by covering everything but the BNC connector with heat shrink tubing. If you have one, add a rubber cap to the end for a real professional look. I used one from a new end mill bit. It fit perfectly!
It worked perfectly and looked like it came from a factory. Just don't tell anyone that you used toilet parts on your radio.
Don't laugh, it really works!

Pain

I love the home made ideas! Do you have a pic of your toilet duck?

kf4sci

Toilet Duck

Pain said:
I love the home made ideas! Do you have a pic of your toilet duck?

No unfortunately I don't. I gave it to someone who needed it more than I did a long time ago.
I hope you realize that with the new name you just gave it that someone is likely to provide us with a pic of a typical rubber duck going for a swim in a toilet bowl. Even before my gallon of morning coffee I'd laugh.

kf4sci

Another option if you don't have heat shrink tubing is some goop you can buy at the hardware store that is used to dip handles of tools in such as cutters and pliers. It coats the handles with a rubber like coating. It also makes a great insulator. I don't recall the name off hand but ask for what I described and the hardware guy will figure it out.

nd5y

The standard 234/f quarter wave antenna formula doesn't work for short helical antennas.
You usually end up with the wire length being 2 to 3 times longer than a straight 1/4 wave depending on the spacing between turns.

pddispatcher

nd5y said:
The standard 234/f quarter wave antenna formula doesn't work for short helical antennas.
You usually end up with the wire length being 2 to 3 times longer than a straight 1/4 wave depending on the spacing between turns.

Exactly right...

Maybe he'll burn his radio up for the sake of ham radio for his immaturity on another post here on RR

Status
Not open for further replies.