Slinky Antenna - HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It will work - to a degree- but as I understand it, to make it play well, you will need to stretch out the coils (which is all those Slinkys form) as far as possible. You can do much better - and hopefully kill some of the noise issues - with some of the plans found in the Shortwave SWL antenna Yahoo group. If you have some skill with simple tools, building the Carpet Loop is a real winner. The only tough part is finding a 365pf variable cap for the tuning. With the hamfest season right around the corner, tearing that out of an old radio should be a simple matter. Heck you might even find one at one of those parts distributors...

If it sounds like I'm a fan of DIY HF antennas - you're right. No easier way to learn, and not that much impact to the wallet (or pocketbook...) either. You can find links in our HF antennas wiki. If you have the room, I would also look at the PAR EF-SWL antenna - especially if you have access to an attic or crawlspace, where hiding the antenna would be fairly easy

73s Mike

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
I used a slinky antenna for about 6 weeks connected to my Yaesu FT-950 for receive only before I could get an outside antenna up. It worked good, not great but good.

Attachments

• Slinky-3.JPG
    Slinky-3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 19,425
  • Slinky-2.JPG
    Slinky-2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 20,388
Last edited:

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
I used one indoors for a few months. If you use it with a good tuner, it should work out okay. It is a compromised antenna but will get you on the air. I used this in an apartment and transferred it over to a house. The antenna (slinky's) are still up as a border in the office. It will always be a great conversation piece. I think you are recieving only, but if you use to transmit make sure you have a good tuner and make a aluminum foil helmet.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies so far and great pics for an example. I'm just looking at using it for a simple antenna right now, because I am limited for space and I really don't feel like making something, so I think this looks to be about the cheapest alternative. Just looking to hear everyones experience with this item. I don't turn the DX-394 on very often but if I knew I could actually hear things, then I may. I could possibly put it up outside in a limited spacial area, just wondering about the lead line in to the radio, and if it's possible to make that part longer if I needed to.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The main problem with a 'simple wire' is that it's going to be as much of a noise magnet as picking up HF. To an extent, the Slinky suffers from the same issue; with the addition of having to have enough room to stretch it out, as KK5JLF shows in his photo. There are a few tricks you can use to cut the amount of noise you hear - it won't be perfect (no indoor antenna ever is...) but it would at least give you a small edge over just using a plain wire. Some of those tricks are outlined in the Yahoo group I mentioned earlier (more specifically, in the photos section).

73s Mike

Last edited:

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Slinky antenna

You will need the following parts in addition to some plastic pice, bolts / nuts and two slinkys.
I used this antenna on a Radio Shack DX-440 shortwave receiver before I ordered my Yaesu. It worked equally well on the DX-440

Right-Angle "F" Plug to Phono (RCA) Jack Adapter (for back of radio connection)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...e+Type/Video+adapters&fbc=1&parentPage=family

Indoor/Outdoor Matching Transformer
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...mer&kw=matching+transformer&parentPage=search

Antenna Coaxial Cable (Any Length)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=coax+cable&kw=coax+cable&parentPage=search

The picture below is the base of my "slinky tower".

73's
Joe KK5JLF

Attachments

• Slinky-4.JPG
    Slinky-4.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 17,955

ke5ldo

Use one for yrs. Two slinkys joined by a 4:1 Balun ith zip cord. Each stretched 21' apart, attached to ceiling of room. Fed with 52 ohm coax. OK for receive, lousy for TX.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I tried a slinky antenna in my ground floor apt with poor results for HF. I have to say the noise floor was always S9+ probably due to many nearby wireless routers and also the fluorescent light bulbs. I have found that Hamstick antennas mag mounted to a metal file cabinet work much better for my location.

k8mcn

KK5JLF said:
I used a slinky antenna for about 6 weeks connected to my Yaesu FT-950 for receive only before I could get an outside antenna up. It worked good, not great but good.
Boy-you must have a very understanding XYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have one in my townhouse attic. It works great for SWL work, especially below 10 MHz. As for TX, I have made some decent contacts on 10M SSB with it using the autotuner on a TS-440 and on an IC-735.

I have it stretched out pretty well, about 25 feet from end to end.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
K, well I got mine set up in the house. I have it strung across the ceiling for now. I think I'll wait until spring and strap it outside, under an eavestroph or something.

Should I be worried about lightning come spring/summer?

nd5y

You people need to learn how to properly use a slinky antenna.
You can't just string it up and wonder why it doesn't transmit or receive well or work on all bands.

I bought a commercially made slinky dipole about 25 years ago. I don't know if anybody still makes them. It had instructions on how to tune it and had metal clips to short the unused coil turns together at the ends of the antenna.

You have to adjust the number, length and spacing of expanded coil turns and short together the collapsed turns at the far ends to make it resonant on whatever band you will use. You need a SWR or wattmeter or an antenna analyzer and you shouldn't need an antenna tuner if you adjust it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.