What would stop me...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollandi985

What would stop me from pulling the car antenna male motorola connector out of the back of the stereo, slapping a Motorola-BNC connector on it, and popping it into the back of my BCT15?

I know there may be signal quality issues, but could i break anything doing that?

mdulrich

Feed Provider
hollandi985 said:
What would stop me from pulling the car antenna male motorola connector out of the back of the stereo, slapping a Motorola-BNC connector on it, and popping it into the back of my BCT15?

The Antenna Police. :twisted:

Mike

mjthomas59

Nothing to break, maybe nothing to gain. Obviously you lose your car radio reception in the deal. And depending on the frequencies you are wanting to pick up, it may do little or nothing to improve your reception. You can buy splitters to allow you to hook up both your car radio and scanner to the original antenna. The only side-effects i've heard from this are lost am performance and some lose of fm coverage on your car radio. If you live in an area with predominant UHF or 800mhz systems,i wouldn't waste your time.

hollandi985

I went down to Radio shack and bought myself a motorola-bnc connector and hooked it all up. Preliminary tests have shown that its better than nothing. Since you can pick up AM/FM on the BCT15 and I dont listen to the radio much in the first place, i dont see losing the radio antenna as a real disadvatage. The trunked county system here is so strong thats not an issue. I only listen to that and use close call right now. The county system gives me Fire and EMS, Law enforcement is encrypted so thats impossible, and the only other thing thats interesting to me is close call stuff cuz usually its the car next to me or the drive-thru and for some juvenile reason that stuff never gets old.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
hollandi985 said:
I went down to Radio shack and bought myself a motorola-bnc connector and hooked it all up. Preliminary tests have shown that its better than nothing. Since you can pick up AM/FM on the BCT15 and I dont listen to the radio much in the first place, i dont see losing the radio antenna as a real disadvatage. The trunked county system here is so strong thats not an issue. I only listen to that and use close call right now. The county system gives me Fire and EMS, Law enforcement is encrypted so thats impossible, and the only other thing thats interesting to me is close call stuff cuz usually its the car next to me or the drive-thru and for some juvenile reason that stuff never gets old.

If, when you say the BCT15 will pick up AM/FM, you are are referring to the AM broadcast band (540-1700 KHz) then you are incorrect. It will not receive that freq range. It will however, receive AM mode transmissions, such as you find in the commercial air band (118-136 MHz). I will assume that is what you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.