Chimney strap mount question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmacka

I am looking to mount this antenna (http://www.walcottcb.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=1013) to my chimney.

I want to use those chimney strap type mounts to secure the mast to the chimney. I can't seem to find a place to get those type strap mounts. Can someone please provide me a link to a site where they could be purchased.

Also, if I used an approximately 5 foot mast, with this antenna, would I need guy wires. In my situation guy wires aren't a possibility. Any feedback would be appreciated.

hoser147

Kent, you should be alright. Ive got a RS chimney Strap with 2 10ft. mast sections. i dont have it fully extended so its really only about 15 ft up solid as a rock. As long as your chimney is good and solid it shouldnt be a problem. Actually when I get around to my tower this year i will probably leave the chimney mount up there. I have 2 RS discones and a yagi up there with no problem. Hoser

pddispatcher

I concur,

As long as the chimney is structually sound and isn't falling apart.

You will not need guy wires.

hoser147

Not exactly sure how that one tightens up the one I got from RS has rachets on it. Its been up there every bit of 3 years, been in all kinds of wind and been hit with a branch or two. and never have I had to retighten it up. Hoser

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
An active chimney is not the best place to mount an antenna due to moisture condensation, corrosive vapors, soot, etc. I would seek an alternative solution unless the chimney is inactive and still those brackets won't stand much strain from weight and wind resistance and the bands tend to stretch so common sense prevails.

Lucky you who had no problems, I had the top of a new chimney with sound masonry come off for no apparent reason. On the other hand I had no problem with badly deteriorated 150 year old brickwork so go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.