Non-Drill Trunk Mount - Where to Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtyra

Premium Subscriber
Quick question -- I'm looking for a non-drilling solution like this guy did with his car:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=721942&postcount=4

My car is a lease, so I can't go drilling holes in it, but I'd like to have some additional overall gain when I get my handhel scanner. I do NOT want a magnetic mount, they scratch the paint and we get wind gusts in the 50~70 Mph range so it has to be directly attached.

Any-who, I can't seem to find a cross-reference of vehicle specific trunk mounts like that. The ones I found in the wiki seem to be mounted to the trunk, not the frame, so when you open the trunk the antenna is going to smack something (like the car window/paint).

Any ideas, or possible places to look?

Thanks! :D

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The antenna mount in the link you provided is some sort of "L" bracket. It does require a hole to be drilled in the inner lip of the trunk to attach it. They are available at most ham radio dealers, and as far as I know, are not vehicle specific.

Many amateur radio dealers sell trunk lid mounts, which seems to be what you're looking for. If you mount them in the right place, they won' hit the back window when you open the trunk lid. A trunk lid mount uses set screws to attach it to the edge of the trunk lid. If the mount has an NMO mount on it, you can attach any NMO antenna to it, and there are many. I have not heard of a vehicle specific mount, however. Trunk lid mounts are available from most amateur radio dealers. Amateur Electronic Supply, Universal Radio, Ham Radio Outlet, are just a few.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.