Normal size yet good antenna (handheld)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I've looked all over the place before posting this thread and please forgive me if any duplicate questions here but here's my question: I recently purchased one of the new RS Pro 164's (which I think is absolutely a wonderful scanner). As noted in the past 1,000 threads, the stock/OEM rubber ducky antenna leaves a bit to be desired. That being said, can ANYONE recommend a "normal size" (lighter weight, less than 9 inches) that would be a good overall antenna? I live in Louisville, KY and the most used bands are 180.000's and 460.000's (the ones I care about most). 800mhz or trunking is not important to me. I know nothing will beat a discone or outdoor antenna but my goal is to upgrade and still remain portable without too much stress on BNC connector (weight/height). I have tried the RS Deluxe Scanner Antenna (20-034) with no major upgrade at all. I'm not having too much of a problem but I know with this scanner, I can get better reception. I've read about the Condor, different Diamonds, etc. but have yet to run across one perfect for my situation. I prefer rubber ducky style to the extendables, if possible. Can someone please give me some recommendations and where to buy?

Thanks for your help!

djeplett

The problem is the physics of it. A longer antenna will perform better. I think the best antenna for your situation would be the Diamond RH77CA because of it's performance. But if it's too long for you then I don't know what to tell you.

I have the 20-034 because the original antenna that came with my PRO97 came apart. (And no, I didn't carry it by the antenna.) And I noticed a marked improvement over the stock duck. But if you say you don't notice a difference with this one, then I am afraid there won't be any other that will be short, but perform well.

Is it possible to put a magnet mount antenna on a bookcase or filing cabinet near where you listen alot? Then you should see an increase in performance and yet you won't have to mount an antenna outside...

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
That might be a possibility for the magnetic mount. The Diamond RH77CA is one that I have considered. I'm just concerned about the wife and/or dog brushing up against it and it ended up broken on the floor. I understand the 77CA is long, and would obviously make the handheld "top heavy". Compare to stock 8.75" ducks, how heavy is the 77? I know the RS 20-034 is significantly heavier than the stock, yet length did nothing for reception. Thanks so much for your guys replies... any notation is greatly appreciated.

djeplett

I would go for a Larsen NMO 150/450/800 mobile scanner antenna on a magnet mount and put your scanner on one of tonsoffun's scanner stands. It won't fall over and you should get good reception. Especially if you're not on a ground floor and the antenna could go near a window.

http://www.scannerstandman.com/

mjthomas59

I use the Diamond 77ca on my Uniden 246t which is about a small of a handheld as i've seen. The scanner will stand upright on a flat surface without a problem, and i don't personally think the antenna is heavy enough to cause a worrysome amount of strain to the bnc connector. I'd be more concerned with tripping over the coax and having it attached at a funky angle(the same angle it is attached on all handhelds, with the coax coming up from the ground and doubling over onto the bnc terminal)

Bonus of the diamond is that it isn't stiff like the stock antenna, so even if you do bump it into something it won't break the antenna or connector. Having your scanner fall on the ground is going to cause issues im sure, but it won't hurt the bnc connector anymore with the diamond than it would with any other kind of antenna.

Last edited:

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
DJeplett:

I like your idea, as my nightstand is directly in front of a window. I'm sure some double-sided tape would secure a mobile mount just fine. Plus RG cable would be behind nightstand. It looks as though scannerstandman is backordered for a while. Can anyone advise (or copy and paste website) where I can get the Larsen NMO 150/450/800? I know there's several Larsens out there and I don't want to mistakenly order the wrongly "tuned" one. 77CA may be an option, as well. I may order both, compare the two and Ebay the one that performs the least. I need to pour some concrete and get a discone in the air but that's later down the road. Since the wife and I are trying to draw in free HDTV, this may be a "combo" antenna raising! :)

Thanks for all of your recommendations. I really do appreciate the responses. Plus, it's interesting to hear what works best for different people.

djeplett

Remember, for the Larsen you'll need a ground plane under it, like a filing cabinet or something similar. Without one, you can stick it to a cookie sheet and set it on top of something. Best thing is, when you do put the tower up you'll already have a mobile antenna!

http://www.cheapham.com/LAR-NMO-150-450-800.html
http://www.scannersunlimited.com/antenna1.html
http://www.randl.com/cgi-local/cart/cart.cgi?cart=Search&Category=LARSEN&sb=1&nh=6

Don't forget to buy an NMO magnet mount in addition to the antenna.

When I first got my license in 2005 I ran my Larsen 2/70 on top of a bookcase and it worked much better than the small ducks I had, so I think for the time being it may work out well enough.

Instead of tonsoffun's holder you could use a simple bookend, too...

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for the info. Very good point on the "already having a mobile antenna". For anyone who reads this post up to this point, please help me understand this... I have spent WEEKS reading and studying antennas and have always come across the same answer on one antenna... the RS 800 mhz. No matter where you go or how experienced/unexperienced the reviewers are, SEVERAL people always mention that this antenna increased their reception FULL BAND. Does this not totally defy the laws of physics and radio frequencies? I suppose this depends on where you are, how far from signal, type of walls (plaster vs. drywall), etc. I'm tempted, for twenty dollars and a 30 day money back guarantee, to try it for the heck of it. Has anyone else tested this idea or wondered the same?

Last edited:

mjthomas59

The RS800 antenna is an excellent antenna. I have both the RS800 and the Diamond 77ca. The Diamond is my first choice hands down for vhf and uhf frequencies, but it is pretty amazing how well the radioshack antenna performs. Not only that, but the Rs800 outperforms the RS Deluxe, and like you said, based on physics you would think it would be the opposite. For your application i would still suggest the Diamond, but the RS800 is cheap, and radioshack will give you a 30day money back policy.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
The more I research, based on the specifications that are important to me, the better the Diamond RH519 looks. I've only read good things.... plus, I'll have lightweight, the length I want and the band coverage I need. Any heard/know anything negative on the 519?

Ghost4658

Don't wast your money on the Diamond RH77CA.
Radio Shack 800Mhz duck ant is good I got 2 works great VHF & 800Mhz trunk.
Larsen 150/450/800 got 2 of them great ant but must use NMO mount for it.

pogbobo

Ghost4658 said:
Don't wast your money on the Diamond RH77CA.
Radio Shack 800Mhz duck ant is good I got 2 works great VHF & 800Mhz trunk.
Larsen 150/450/800 got 2 of them great ant but must use NMO mount for it.

to quote op, "800mhz or trunking is not important to me"

i love my rs800 as much as the next guy, and it gets the close vhf/uhf, but come on now ...

:roll:

alexdobe, try the rh77 or the bh519 ... or both :) .... but if you dont listen to any 800mhz freqs then why get an antenna designed specifically for it?? :)

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I guess I meant to say that 157.XXX - 158's and 460.XXX - 462's is what I listen to most. In my area, there's not too much to listen to that's trunked. Neither in the 800 band. I was thinking I may "luck out" like some of the others that have reported but you're right, you wouldn't put 255/45/R18's designed for Corvette on a Yugo... you've got a point. Hat's off to ya....

zz0468

QRT
Banned
axledobe said:
I have spent WEEKS reading and studying antennas and have always come across the same answer on one antenna... the RS 800 mhz. No matter where you go or how experienced/unexperienced the reviewers are, SEVERAL people always mention that this antenna increased their reception FULL BAND. Does this not totally defy the laws of physics and radio frequencies?

Apparently not. What probably defies the laws of physics are the expectations that the antenna is going to be WONDERFUL everywhere. Isn't the RS 800 MHz antenna a (...come on, wait for it...) 800 MHz antenna? Does "full band" mean 806-870? Then, no, this is quite feasible. If "full band" means 460 and 150 as well as 800, then it's gonna be compromised somewhere, and the reviewers that rave about it haven't actually put it on an antenna range and measured it.

But that all seems moot, since you mentioned that you were interested in high band and UHF.

Pick a band, any band. Make (or buy) a quarter wave whip for the band(s) of interest. That's about as good as it's gonna get for a hand held scanner antenna. Make it shorter than that, and it'll have negative gain. Make it longer, and it'll have some gain in some directions, and lots of negative gain in others. There is no miracle antenna that does it all and defies the laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.