A11331B-Y Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1BHH

That's a unity gain antenna. It should work okay. I've never bought or use one of those, and don't plan on doing so. I use the Larsen NMO-150/450/800 for mobile use and it works nicely for me. You'll get 200 answers from 200 people.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
ngawx said:
anyone here use the A11331B-Y from www.rfwiz.com ? Thinking about buying it but would just like to hear some feedback before i do so. Any input would be great!

thanks
I have that exact antenna with a Comtelco mag mount. Works fine for me. It's rugged, pretty compact and rather unobtrusive in the black finish. I have had it for several years and no complaints. :D

Dave

jmtyra

Premium Subscriber
I'm new as well, but as I understand it, a "unity gain antenna" gives you additional dB across the spectrum but less than if you purchased a "normal" antenna that gives you a higher dB within a smaller spectrum window.

But...I could be wrong. =D

ngawx said:
is a "unity gain antenna" diffrent from a "normal" antenna, and if it is.....how so? I am very new to antennas

ngawx

Looks as if i am going to buy 2 antennas then lol. Guess i will just pick up a Larson antenna also they are not too bad in price. So the Larsen NMO-150/450/800 is a good one as stated above?

prcguy

The Comtelco looks very similar is size and design as the Maxrad BMXSCAN1000, which works very nice. The Larsen tri-band works about the same as the Maxrad in the public service bands but I think the Maxrad works better out of band like VHF/UHF air and some of the ham bands. Unity gain usually refers to 0 dBD gain and is about the same as a 1/4 wave whip for comparison. There are other scanner antennas that will give better performance but there going to be much larger.
prcguy

ngawx

im really not worried about how big (long) it is, i just want an antenna that has great all around performance. could i have an link to a larger antenna that would have better performance?

prcguy

What bands do you want? The big Larsen NMO-150/450 series is great for VHF/UHF commercial and public service but VHF low and 800 will is not so good. The old A/S MONR-51 (VHF low through 500MHz) and the MON-53 (VHF low through 800MHz) are good and can't be beat if you need VHF low band.
prcguy
ngawx said:
im really not worried about how big (long) it is, i just want an antenna that has great all around performance. could i have an link to a larger antenna that would have better performance?

garys

Premium Subscriber
The Larsen, Comtelco, and MaxScan all perform about the same. I've had them all and they are all OK, but not great. At least IMO. Good on 800 and UHF, OK on VHF, nothing on Low Band at all.

Again, IMO, the best bargain for a scanner antenna is the Hustler MOR, MOT, or MRT. They are all pretty much the same, except for the mount. You can also take the MOR or MOT off the Hustler mount and put them on a Comtelco NMO base without losing any performance. They are longer, at about 3 feet. They are also relatively cheap as you can find them for between $20-25.00 plus shipping.

I like this antenna even more than the old AS MonR 5x series.

Gary

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
garys said:
Good on 800 and UHF, OK on VHF, nothing on Low Band at all.
Nothing on Low Band?. My Comtelco has worked amazingly well on CHP Low Band, even on non repeater transmissions, when I have had occasion to be in California.
Dave

garys

Premium Subscriber
thewenk said:
Nothing on Low Band?. My Comtelco has worked amazingly well on CHP Low Band, even on non repeater transmissions, when I have had occasion to be in California.
Dave

Glad you had good luck with it. I didn't, which is what I'm reporting.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.