testing out ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motolover

I have a 100ft tower on a bulding and about 8 ants. on it. i was going to hook up my scanner to the ants. and see how well they do. i was woundering if there is any like beacons that transmit continuously at diffrent locations so i can see how far out they are receiving. i am from connecticut . And is there anyway i could tell if the ants. are uhor vhf without climbing the tower? thanks

captclint

Mentor
motolover said:
I have a 100ft tower on a bulding and about 8 ants. on it. i was going to hook up my scanner to the ants. and see how well they do.
The NWS is a good source for this. Try tuning the weakest signal to compare for VHF band. Might be able to pick better UHF ant by process of elimination of the VHF. Of course, none of them may be suitable for general scanning, either because they are tuned to a specific freq with narrow window or just not close to the freq's of interest to you. BTW, how come you can access to "unknown" antennae on this tower?

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
motolover said:
we brought this building and the tower was on top when we bought it.
Chances are that they are all professional antennas tuned to a specific freq with relatively narrow bandwidth, and would not do the wide range or freq you need for a scanner. If you only wanted Public Safety VHF, you might have decent response, since they would likely be set for the 155 area. However, I think your best bet would be to get an outdoor scanner antenna, mount it on the tower, and use the existing coax, which should be a very high quality. However, you may find one of them to be of some help until the spring when you can go up there.

N1BHH

Never throw away a good gift. If I had 8 antennas to choose from I sure would be using them all. Just because an antenna may be resonant for a particular frequency, doesn't mean it won't work nicely as a receiving antenna in another range. Just hook the stuff up and have a ball. You'll figure out which ones work good, what's poor and which are excellent in due time. Celebrate you new found wealth of antennas.

jmtyra

Premium Subscriber
Wow -- lucky guy. I know pretty much any member on this board would love to have a connection to an antenna 100ft up in the air on a tower.

Just don't forget some type of surge suppression (if it's not already in place) in case of lightning! Don't want to blow up your scanners...

Status
Not open for further replies.