Question about CB Radio Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWiley

Hi, I know that this is primarily an amateur radio and scanner forum, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is it safe to turn on a cb radio with no antenna or microphone hooked up? I know that you should never key up the microphone without the antenna. But I am just wondering if as long as you don't key up the radio, and there is no antenna connected, if that is still ok.

Scannin

Andrew

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
AWiley said:
Hi, I know that this is primarily an amateur radio and scanner forum, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is it safe to turn on a cb radio with no antenna or microphone hooked up? I know that you should never key up the microphone without the antenna. But I am just wondering if as long as you don't key up the radio, and there is no antenna connected, if that is still ok.

Scannin

Andrew

Seems okay. It shouldn't cause any harmful interference. If you do however notice interfertence, turn off the system.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CB Radios

Don_Burke said:
Some CB sets act funny if there is no microphone plugged in.
That's true because on some CBs, the speaker is looped through the microphone. It is done to cut the speaker off when transmitting. Some radios do this with relays or electronic switching. But that has nothing to do with leaving the antenna disconnected.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
CB no microphone

Don_Burke said:
Some CB sets act funny if there is no microphone plugged in.
I'll say it stronger- some radios act dead if there's no mic plugged in. At least there's no audio thru the speaker.

Don_Burke

gmclam said:
That's true because on some CBs, the speaker is looped through the microphone. It is done to cut the speaker off when transmitting. Some radios do this with relays or electronic switching. But that has nothing to do with leaving the antenna disconnected.
The OP asked about powering up with no microphone or antenna hooked up.

If the radio does not work without the microphone, the antenna connection becomes moot.

N1BHH

There are some CB's which, when the microphone is disconnected, will automatically transmit. That's what you need to watch out for. I have seen several that do that. That doesn't mean the one you have won't do it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Don_Burke said:
The OP asked about powering up with no microphone or antenna hooked up.

If the radio does not work without the microphone, the antenna connection becomes moot.
And many CBs, including ALL of the units I personally own, work just fine with no microphone connected.

mjthomas59

Can you point a loaded gun at yourself and still live?? Sure, if you keep from pulling trigger. That doesn't mean i'd be willing to do it.

Thayne

Why power it up if you don't want to use it? To see if it lites up or something :p

Status
Not open for further replies.