lightning protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsvensven

I have been reading some old threads about grounding and lightning protection for antennas, and I now have my station properly grounded. I am wondering what kind of lightning protection is recommended for my roof top antenna.
I have seen links to protectors in teh $75 range, and I would definetly buy one if it is what I need, but would something like this work fine too? Right now my cable goes through a Grounding block with F connectors, so this would fit onto my coax perfectly. This protector is much cheaper than others though, so is it not going to be as reliable? I assume that I can't transmit with that protector? Is the impedence mismatch an issue (it's 50 ohm cable). Should I use one of those models on the cable TV coax entering my house (it looks like that's what it is designed for)?

If I needed a different protector, I could always cut off the F connectors and put on UHF or N connectors, so connector type isn't a huge deal.

Save your money and purchase an additional insurance policy for your radio gear. Adequate commercial lightning protection would cost many times the cost of all your equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.