Switch Boxes Freq. Range Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Nothing is ever "simple", it seems.
Not too sharp on this stuff, and really don't want to make a mistake.

Was going to buy the Daiwa Switch box for switching either of two receive only scanner antennas in my scanner.

But, looking more closely, the description say good up to 600 MHZ

"Daiwa CS-201A Coax Switch Frequency Range (up to): 600MHz"

This (apparently) doesn't cover the full range of typical scanner frequencies, or even the 800 MHZ range.

Opinions ?

Also, Grove also offers a different unit:

"DC-2 GHZ ANTENNA SWITCH $19.95 SWC01

This sure sounds better re the freq. coverage, as well as being cheaper.
No idea who the mfg. is.

Anybody use this, or have any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

K2GOG

I am sure on the Daiwa unit, is that they spec it to 600Mhz for a reason.

They may stand behind the loss below 600Mhz and when going higher they dont want to give actual specs since that may vary from unit to unit. The higher in freq one goes, usually the construction has to be a bit more tighter tolerance. As a result, the price goes up.

Besides, this switch is probably marketed towards a ham and most probably dont have any gear that goes beyond 70cm for transmit.

I am sure for scanner useage, it would be fine well in excess of 1000Mhz -not that most people listen that high with a consumer grade scanner....

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I used a couple of Diawa coax switch boxes for years, both two and four position. I use a two position one now. I monitor frequencies up to the 940MHz range, and I have no problems. Not to say that it's designed for that range, but it works okay for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.