My local PD has gone digital....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp113

The PD in my town (with the strongest scanner signal) has gone digital.

What is the best basic scanner I can buy to pick them up in this now digital police department.

Thanks for your help and suggestions from a newbie.

bharvey2

That is going to depend upon which digital mode they adopted. There are several and the mode will dictate which, if any scanner is suitable. If you mentioned which police department you were trying to monitor, that would allow others to make intelligent recommendations.

N8IAA

What is the best basic scanner I can buy to pick them up in this now digital police department.

Since there are no mind readers on RR, to help, we need to know where you are, and what system you want to scan.
Larry

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
..... And if they have gone digital there stands a strong chance they are also encrypted. As everyone else has said, need more info!!

sp113

Local PD is Methuen, MA 01844

That is going to depend upon which digital mode they adopted. There are several and the mode will dictate which, if any scanner is suitable. If you mentioned which police department you were trying to monitor, that would allow others to make intelligent recommendations.

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to monitor the Methuen, MA 01844 police department....

I appreciate your help!

bharvey2

Hopefully someone in your area will chime in but from what I see in the RR database, I would conclude that your are has gone over to Commonwealth of Massachusetts radio system. (Please understand that this is an educated guess) In that case, you will need a scanner capable or receiving P25 Phase II. Since I'm not familiar with your area, I've included the RR link to the system I think your PD may have migrated to:

Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Trunking System, Statewide, Massachusetts - Scanner Frequencies

See if the above makes sense to you and applies to your area.

Here are some scanners that should work on that system. I can't comment on the vendor I've never dealt with them:

Digital P25 Phase II Scanners

I hope this helps.

N8IAA

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to monitor the Methuen, MA 01844 police department....

I appreciate your help!

All you need for your county and city is a scanner to pick up the P-25 conventional frequencies. I would suggest a Whistler WS-1040 for a handheld, or the WS-1065 for a base unit. Either will work great on what you want to monitor.

There isn't even any towers in Essex county for the statewide system.
Larry

bharvey2

One of the notes in the Commonwealth System said that it was growing. The individual tower site maps show the Boston Metro getting pretty close to Lawrence so I'd assumed it would make it toward Methuen it not too long a time. I'd bet N8IAA is correct in that any P25 scanner will work for your area. Unless depts. are going encrypted in your area, a Phase 2 capable scanner might future proof (well, future resistant) yourself and buy up. Plus, if you travel, you'll have more scanning options.

sp113

prices now

Here are some scanners that should work on that system. I can't comment on the vendor I've never dealt with them:

Digital P25 Phase II Scanners

I hope this helps.

Thank you....they are all kinda pricey, aren't they?

Wasn't there a time you could get a basic scanner to hear your local PD from Radio Shack for about $150 or so?

Thanks!

bharvey2

Yes, the price of admission to get into a scanner capable of monitoring may of the public service radio systems is much more expensive than it used to be. My first scanner was a 10 channel one and it worked fine. Then my area went to trunking and I needed another scanner. Then they went digital/P25 and I needed yet another, more expensive scanner.

One thing to consider and I have gone this route too: If you're computer is up to the task, you can purchase a couple of SDR dongles, download the appropriate software and turn your computer into a functional scanner. This doesn't lend itself to mobility but it gets you in the door at a very reasonable price. Suitable dongles run in the $20 range and the software is free (although a "tip" is much appreciated by the software programmers) Getting a decent outdoor antenna may add to the cost if you find you need one. I have the above setup at work running 24/7 and it functions fine.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Massachusetts forum since this isn't a scanner review thread and didn't being in the Scanner Reviews forum.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Methuen has changed to P25 on their main channel of 482.4625. That traffic in the clear, their secondary channel is encrypted.

..... And if they have gone digital there stands a strong chance they are also encrypted. As everyone else has said, need more info!!

There is not a lot of encryption in use in MA. Some secondary channels and channels used for secure comms. Most agencies are still dispatching in the clear. Worcester, MA just upgraded to a P25 trunk and sent out a notice of what channels are clear.

Hopefully someone in your area will chime in but from what I see in the RR database, I would conclude that your are has gone over to Commonwealth of Massachusetts radio system. (Please understand that this is an educated guess) In that case, you will need a scanner capable or receiving P25 Phase II. Since I'm not familiar with your area, I've included the RR link to the system I think your PD may have migrated to:

The RR database is a bit confusing in it's description of the MSP system. P25 is in use in the western part of the state and there is a 700Mhz system in use in the greater Boston area. That system is carrying some City of Boston traffic (simulcast), but no MSP traffic. Methuen is well outside the range of that system. I know that from the RRDB, it all looks like one system, but it's the Astro controller that is shared by agencies.

If my information is correct, the same controller runs the MSP analog and digital systems, the City of Cambridge system, MassPort, and now the City of Worcester. At least that's how I understood what was explained to me.

sp113

price of monitoring these days...

Yes, the price of admission to get into a scanner capable of monitoring may of the public service radio systems is much more expensive than it used to be. .

Thanks for your response....

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you want to listen to Methuen and some of the other P25 conventional departments up there, a 996T, 396T, or one of the XT scanners will work fine. As a bonus, you'll be able to hear a lot of the PDs in southern NH as well as the NHSP.

You can find those used here or other places for not a lot of money. You can also find used GRE or RS scanners with digital capabilities. You don't need to leap into buying the latest radios.

Even the newer systems like Nashua NH, Worcester MA, etc... are mostly Phase I, not Phase II.

13CA350

What I did, instead of buying a brand new radio for a few hundred dollars, is buy an old iPod. I managed to get an iPod 4 a few years ago for $75 on Ebay. It works perfectly, no scratches anywhere on it and the battery last a full 6+ hours.

Then, I installed TuneIn radio and I just stream my Local PD over the internet, for $75 instead of $375. I even splurged and got a $50 iHome with a remote, so I can control the volume from anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.