RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Seeking Advice

Seeking Advice When you have no one to turn to we're here for you, even if our advice isn't that sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 6:15 PM

Default Qualified but unlicensed?

I am trying to clear up a question I have been asked:

If you have undertaken study and examination in a given area and have an official document to prove this, which you then used to obtain a licence for this area. If in a few years time you do not pay the licence fee and let your licence lapse is it correct to say that you are "qualified but unlicensed"?
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 6:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would say not. If paying the license fee is one of the qualifications and your license is no longer valid due to you failure to do so, you're no longer qualified (you didn't satisfy the fee paid part of your license requirement). Somewhat like a doctor continuing to practice after their licensing board pulled their license for some infraction (perhaps they caused the death of several folks due to their sloppy work, failed to get the required hours of annual training, or even failed to file the required paperwork to their local licensing board). I wouldn't want to have that doctor work on me although his supporters may say he's "qualified but unlicensed".
Old 04-16-2014, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you passed your amateur test you paid the FCC fee in advance. It's up to the examiners file with the FCC. I'm not sure what you are asking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 6:58 PM

My understanding is that people have come back to this after many years away and only provided proof of qualification (The certificate I have) and paid the required fee to renew. I don't believe that any time limit exists for this or any need for resitting any tests.

Lets say you pass your test and pay your fee's each year. After a few years you stop paying the fee and your licence lapses, are you qualified but unlicensed?
Old 04-16-2014, 7:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If your examiner filed you with the FCC your good for 10 years.

Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW4HKY View Post
If your examiner filed you with the FCC your good for 10 years.

I am on the other side of the world here but still good to know.
Old 04-16-2014, 7:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny View Post
My understanding is that people have come back to this after many years away and only provided proof of qualification (The certificate I have) and paid the required fee to renew. I don't believe that any time limit exists for this or any need for resitting any tests.

Lets say you pass your test and pay your fee's each year. After a few years you stop paying the fee and your licence lapses, are you qualified but unlicensed?
In the US (rules in other countries may be different), you have 2 years after your license expired to renew (although you can't legally operate after its expired). If you apply past this 2 year period, your old license is no longer acceptable as proof you've passed the tests and will need to retake the tests like anyone that had never had a license.

Quote:
A person whose amateur station license grant has expired may apply to the FCC for renewal of the license grant for another term
during a 2 year filing grace period. The application must be received at the address specified above prior to the end of the grace period.
Unless and until the license grant is renewed, no privileges in this part are conferred.
Old 04-16-2014, 7:36 PM

I would check for the rules in his country,as it would obviously be different from the US,n5ims....
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
I would check for the rules in his country,as it would obviously be different from the US,n5ims....
This was not so much about the rules per say but more about if it is fair to say "qualified but unlicensed".
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:

No. You would have to re-test.
Old 04-17-2014, 3:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
This was not so much about the rules per say but more about if it is fair to say "qualified but unlicensed".
Fairness is relative, but I would say the license is what proves you're qualified. Stating you're unlicensed would be a fair and accurate statement given the scenario you're describing.

There's no way to substantiate your qualifications, unless you were to claim that you've studied for, but not yet taken a licensing exam. Or that you let you license lapse. I suppose you could say you've been "previously but not currently licensed", but again, what's the point? If a license is required to perform a given function, and you don't have one, what difference does it make if you're qualified?

You say you're from a country other than the US, and probably English is a second language for you. What is it exactly you want to accomplish?
Old 04-17-2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4TTR View Post
You say you're from a country other than the US, and probably English is a second language for you. What is it exactly you want to accomplish?
English is my first / only language

Basically on my blog I have this line "I hold an Amateur Operator’s Certificate of Proficiency (Foundation)(AOCP(F)) and have previously held the call sign XXXXXXXXX. I am qualified but unlicensed at the moment."

I just wanted to make sure what I am saying is correct and not going to rub anybody up the wrong way.
Old 04-18-2014, 4:05 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You are either licensed or you are not. The license is the only qualification.

Old 04-19-2014, 6:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

According to the WIA:

Quote:
Successful candidates are urged to ensure that they do hold a certificate of proficiency, as that is the evidence of qualification to operate an amateur station.
So yes, it appears that you are indeed qualified, but you still can not operate without a license. So what are you waiting for? If you want to get back on the air, go get your license!