Radio Shack Weather Alert 12-262

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

On Friday 3-29-13 I found a Radio Shack weather alert monitor that was like new at a Goodwill store here in Indianapolis. The monitor was like new.I bought it for $2.99 and after I got it home put 6 AA batteries and it works great. I sent a copy of the owners manual to my printer. The Radio Shack 12-262 is a great alert monitor.I have added it to my communications center with the other monitors, scanners, and other items that I use.I found plenty of videos of the 12-262 on You tube. on the monitor that I bought.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have an old 12-249 that's just now starting to have distorted audio after all these years, but still alerts so I guess it's lived a long and useful life!
This is one of the very first SAME radios to come available for consumers. :wink:

n9zas

troshs

Great to hear a good testimonial. I have the 12-262 which I keep around only for emergencies. I used to have it going all of the time, but with the BCT15 scanner I have its no longer necessary to run it all the time. I've had it for 5 years now. I bought it off of eBay for $30 something from an owner in Wisconsin who owned it 2 years before that. 7 years later, with a coat of dust, its still works perfect when it needs to.
I've always wanted one of those Realistic "Weather Cubes" that you see videos of on youtube once in a while. They go on eBay for usually under 10 bucks, and most still work, but they don't have SAME encoding so the siren may blow for anything within wind distance :)

TheHarbinger

Premium Subscriber
Need Manual for 12-262 Weather Radio

This is a resurrection of an old thread...

I just picked up one of these radios. RadioShack does not have the manual online any longer, and all I can find in web searches are PDF documents from sketchy sites that contain a "download link" to the "manual." Does anyone have an alternate source I might try?

Thanks in advance.

TheHarbinger

Premium Subscriber
This is a resurrection of an old thread...

I just picked up one of these radios. RadioShack does not have the manual online any longer, and all I can find in web searches are PDF documents from sketchy sites that contain a "download link" to the "manual." Does anyone have an alternate source I might try?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help?

TheHarbinger

Premium Subscriber
Puzzleriddle, I've already done that Google search. I don't want to watch a video. One of the links goes to this exact thread, and the rest, as I said, are to documents containing links to other sources that don't appear legitimate. The OP in this thread apparently had a PDF of the manual and I'm looking for that source.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
FYI this radio is a piece of crap. It has a defect that makes it lock up and stop alerting.

Throw it out and don't depend on it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Puzzleriddle, I've already done that Google search. I don't want to watch a video. One of the links goes to this exact thread, and the rest, as I said, are to documents containing links to other sources that don't appear legitimate. The OP in this thread apparently had a PDF of the manual and I'm looking for that source.

Try sending him a private message.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
All of the links to the manual seem to be dead. I did find a page on noaa.gov that has programming instructions nwrhelp

Just scroll down about half way.

darticus

Radio Shack Weather Alert 12-262

HOW THE HELL DO YOU PROGRAM THIS?
I have 3 of these. I think they are working ok but I wanted to check settings before the winter. They all work the same and I can't check their program settings. How is this done? Any manuals out there that work? Thanks Ron

r_eugene1

HOW THE HELL DO YOU PROGRAM THIS?
I have 3 of these. I think they are working ok but I wanted to check settings before the winter. They all work the same and I can't check their program settings. How is this done? Any manuals out there that work? Thanks Ron
Here is a link to the manual. You can download it and save it for future reference. RADIO SHACK 12-262 USER MANUAL Pdf Download.

scansalot52

At least until you're sure you have them set up correctly, have the
"ADVISORY alert type set to on and the
"Required Weekly Test" set to ON.
The radios should alert/test every Wednesday between 11am and noon in you time zone.
If you don't think you'll be available at that time, set the alert reminder or missed alert notifier

Status
Not open for further replies.