Weather radio -low volume alert wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Christmas is coming and I’d like to put a new weather radio on the list. I’ve got several but they all share one annoying trait. The audible weather alert is so loud it will wake the dead, and that's with the alert adjusted down. Nothing worse than that thing going off at 3AM. I want a radio with an adjustable audio weather alert that adjusts way down, almost un-audible. Tell me about yours?

My weather radio's are all Radio Shack models.

KW4HKY

No adjustments on Midland. Instant heart attack. Scares the piss out of the cat and the dogs go into attack mode. I turn it off and log into the Skywarn net until the threat passes.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider

+1 on the Reecom. I have an R-1630 and love it. Money well spent.

jim202

Christmas is coming and I’d like to put a new weather radio on the list. I’ve got several but they all share one annoying trait. The audible weather alert is so loud it will wake the dead, and that's with the alert adjusted down. Nothing worse than that thing going off at 3AM. I want a radio with an adjustable audio weather alert that adjusts way down, almost un-audible. Tell me about yours?

My weather radio's are all Radio Shack models.

What part of receiving an alert for a tornado in the middle of the night don't you want to hear?

That is what the alert is there for. To warn of severe weather. If you don't like getting woke up, then don't have a weather alert operating in the house.

Put up with the turmoil when the storm hits your house when everyone is sleeping.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
if you live in an area where you dont have to go underground to get away from a tornado then get a radio with the ability to turn off the audible alert and hook up a strobe led light for visual warning. http://www.amazon.com/Midland-18-ST...16616638&sr=8-1&keywords=midland+strobe+light

i dont live where tornados are and rarely get any rain. and yes putting the radio into the room next to where you sleep will still wake you up with the audible alert. (had that happen to me) however using the led light means you do have to be awake and in the same room as the radio to see it but when dark it really lights up the room

my radio is a midland http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR120...6617273&sr=8-2&keywords=midland+weather+radio

wouldnt recommend that radio though

Last edited:

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your info. I went with the Reecom R-1630 weather radio. The features will allow me to do what I want which is configure this as my bedside unit and to only wake me for events I consider important. I adjusted the alert volume to +1 and while I wish it could go a little lower, at least I won’t hit the ceiling when it sounds (plenty loud to wake me).

This is just part of my weather warning system, as I have three other weather radios inside and outside my home, along with an app on the phone. I am responsible for myself and know how to use equipment, so having the ability to control what events sound and at what volume is important to me. Reecom seems to fit the bill, however I took a gamble as reviews of their customer service records don’t thrill me.

Anyway, thank you again for discussing the issue.

MadCow333

I have two Oregon Scientific radios, WR196T from the early 2000s and a more recent WR608. They are basic radios that can be purchased used on ebay for $20 or so shipped.

Both offer 4 NOAA settings:
radio on fulltime
radio on standby but will siren and then talk until the EOM on alerts
radio mute -- no siren tone will sound but a text message (just says TORNADO or whatever) will be displayed
radio off -- no alerts or msgs will be received

The WR196T has a skinny LED bar that flashes green but changes to red when an alert is issued.
The WR608 has a rather bright and big LED that blinks bright green and then I presume switches to red for an alert (haven't had the WR608 long enough to know.) I put a piece of black tape over most of it because the light is too bright for a bedroom at night, imo. I like having an indicator light.

Neither offers ability to delete or modify individual alert types. You can only include or delete an entire S.A.M.E. code.

I tried a Midland 120EZ and now a used WR-300 version 5. The LEDS would not light for anything other than the weekly test on the Midland 120EZ, and I returned it thinking it was defective. But so far, I have seen the same thing happen on the WR-300. The green/red change always happens on the Oregon Scientifics, so I'm not sure what's going on with the Midlands. Of them all, I still like the WR196T the best. It's very fast-reacting and reliable.

I live in a very large Victorian house with bedrooms spread out. That is why so many NOAA radios, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.