Weather Radio Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am considering buying another table top weather radio. What are some models that I should consider?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for that, but what I am looking for is some real world experience, not just a laundry list of whats available. For example, some years back I bought a Midland, but eventually returned it, because it did not pick up weak signals nearly as well as a different model that I ended up with. Much like scanners, I know that receivers vary in sensitivity and selectivity.

I did find this at Eham, though. Does anybody know of any others?
eHam.net Reviews - Receivers: Weather Alert

w2xq

Mentor
Well, that link shows web sites of more makers than you'll find in Walmart and Radio Shack. It also alerted me to newer services I didn't know existed. I was thinking about a radio, wanted multiple and selectable programmable alert codes (e.g. I don't need flooding) and some other features. After a week of reading I came to the conclusion there is no "best" unit unless I spent more money than I cared to. Lots of reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, elsewhere. Some of the reviews are years old and don't cover the newer services. For now, the SMS alert messages and wx apps on the smartphone are sufficient. Tunein app also gives me access to the NOAA NWS stations wherever I am. I may stop up at the local NWS office and see what they use for this area. Just trying to help.

Last edited:

jim202

At a minimum, you will want to have a receiver that has the ability to be set to the SMS or SAME code for the region your in. That way you won't have to listen to all the alerts that don't effect your region.

You can obtain the code for your county or Parish from the weather service web site. i have an old unit that I bought about 15 years ago. Unless they weather service puts out a weather alert, it stays quietly over on the corner.

Most of the weather receivers have a place for a 9 volt battery that will power the receiver if the power goes out. That way if there is an important alert, you will still be able to hear it. That's a real big factor for those that live in tornado alley and the storm knocked the power out. Same goes for those in the snow belt or in an ice storm.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Thank you for that, but what I am looking for is some real world experience, not just a laundry list of whats available.

I can offer my real-world experience.

The first weather radio I had was a First Alert WX-268. It did fine for about three years, then it started giving strange errors and subsequently died.

Thinking I just got a bad one, I purchased another WX-268. It lasted about a year before it died. No more First Alert weather radios for me!

I then bought a Reecom R-1630, based in part on eHam reviews. It's four years old now, and I've not had any problems with it. I later bought one for my retired parents, and they've not had any problems with their radio.

Based on my experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend the R-1630.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Product > Weather Radios

I might be inclined to try a Sangean. I had a Sangean HD radio in the past. It seemed to be well made and a pretty sensitive receiver. If their weather are made to the same standard, it should be a good choice.

Jim41

I am considering buying another table top weather radio. What are some models that I should consider?

I have a Midland model WR300 that I has performed very satisfactorily for me. I like it because it allows you to select both individual location/county S.A.M.E. codes and also the specific events you want alerted. I have been using it for 18-months.

Jim41

fuzzmanks

Product > Weather Radios

I might be inclined to try a Sangean. I had a Sangean HD radio in the past. It seemed to be well made and a pretty sensitive receiver. If their weather are made to the same standard, it should be a good choice.

I got the Sangean CL-100 about 2 years ago on Amazon. It had one of the best reviews. It is not cheap. I got mine on sale on 12/26/2012 for $38.05 with free shipping. Normally it sales for $60 or more. But you can configure it to only alert for those messages you are interested in. Such as I have my set to alert on warnings and not Advisory's or Watches. You can adjust the volume of the alert tone. The LCD display will still tell you about the Advisory's and Watches even if you have it set to not blast the alert tone.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I would have recommended the Midland wr-300 up until recently. The one I bought back in 2006 was perfect right up to a few months ago. Now it stops receiving weather channels. I can remove the wall wart and batteries, let it sit for a while, and then it works for about ten minutes after power is applied. After that amount of time I am greeted by silence from the weather button and no alerts recieved. Similar experiences are posted on Amazon and Midland WR-300 high pitched squeal on all weather channels for you to read. I can't say it was a bad purchase for 8 years of service, but the randomness of failure could be dangerous.

joeuser

The Wretched
I can strongly suggest this:

https://midlandusa.com/weather-radios/product/hh54vp2/

Used it for years now. You can set it to alert you to only certain events & ignore others. Has a home & away feature so if you are not using it at home it just scans & alerts. Has good reception considering the size. One of the best purchases I have made. The also offer the radio alone for less but the battery pack it came with is top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.