Weather Station Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
First, I apologize if this in wrong area but have seen discussion about weather stations. If it is in wrong area, please feel free to move.

Have been using a wireless weather station that was purchased at Wal-Mart and over the past few years it has served its intended purpose. During a recent storm one of the little cups on the anemometer got broke off. So now it is not reliable enough with the wind speed. Also changing the batteries in the wireless transmitter is a major pain in the butt.

So I am on here looking for your recommendations for a weather station that can measure wind speed/direction, temp., rainfall and all, but I would like the unit not to be wireless. (Probably not going to happen) My ideal setup would be to have the base powered by AC with battery backup and then wired to the measuring instruments to where there is no batteries to power them. This is probably more of a very high end system but I am not against having to deal with batteries. If the measuring head had a solar charger that would be perfect as well (except for winter time) as most of the units I have looked at, everything is mounted in one unit and it would be mounted about 3 ft above the roof of my house.

I have looked at the Davis units and they are quite nice and would love the ability to have the remote access as well. Have seen similar units that are not as expensive but I would be back to the changing of the batteries all the time and with it mounted on the roof, that isn't something I want to tackle in the middle of winter.

Thanks in advance for your input.

R

retiredmich

I have a wireless Weather Station I have never used because of the location I am in. I not sure if they make one like you are talking about. BUT !, if your interested in another wireless one PM me

Last edited:

OPG4711

Depends on how far you want to go.

I have a Campbell CR3000 datalogger with a 140W solar panel backup with a Sunwize charge controller.

Windsensor P2546C anemometer
MetOne 020C Wind Vane
MetOne 083 Temp / RH sensor
MetOne 092 BP sensor
MetOne tipping bucket rain gauge

Records data in real time, 10-minute and daily with Internet output.

But I tend to go overboard with remote sensing.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Like my Davis Vantage Vue

The outdoor station is solar powered with lithium cell for backup. I think backup lasts a couple of years at least. Battery easily replaced. Works great. I got the data logger module as well to connect to computer. I feed to WeatherUnderground. Very accurate, great customer support if you need it. Not the least expensive, but I think you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.