can i use GMRS for Storm Chasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi i was wondering anyone can give me ideas on GMRS radios for storm chasing or something not . I am autsitic and I cant get my ham radio licsene. any ideas ?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You can use GMRS for storm chasing, provided you have your GMRS license (no test, just an application and fee). However, you may not find as many people on GMRS as on ham repeaters when chasing/spotting.
It wasn't clear from your post if you want to use it within a group, or for making wide area contacts or traveling contacts.
Regarding the ham license, check out Handihams too.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
The way they do the Ham classes with exams all in the same day i'm sure you could pass your ham test.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi i was wondering anyone can give me ideas on GMRS radios for storm chasing or something not . I am autsitic and I cant get my ham radio licsene. any ideas ?
Autism won't stop you from obtaining your ham license, also Storm spotting is traditionally geared towards ham radio rather than Gmrs. Not many use Gmrs for such activity. 73, n9zas

bharvey2

Don't sell yourself short on being able to pass the HAM tech license. There are a number of online study tools as well as practice tests, "flash card" style apps and what not. It's more likely that apprehension is your biggest obstacle.

As far as using GMRS, I don't know of any reason that you can't use it as long as all those that you communicate with also have GMRS licenses. As those much more knowledgeable on the subject than I suggest, HAM radio is where it's at with stormwatching. In my area, it gets overcast sometimes but never rises to the level that stormwatching is needed. :)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Before you purchase a GMRS radio for storm spotting, your best bet would be to get in touch with people or organizations in your are who spot and chase storms. (Can anyone from VA help out the OP)?

If nobody in your area does this, then no radio of any sort will be of use . If there are people in your area doing this, then find out what they use to communicate. If there's a loose group or club, join it.

Apart from GMRS, CB radios are sometimes used instead of ham radio communication.

SCPD

QRT
So what should I use then bc i get over whelmed studying and i just dont have time now to study for it

bharvey2

The ARRL website has some good information. You can also try:

hamexam.org or hamstudy.org

to test your knowledge.

bharvey2

If one on one is your preferred method, maybe Youtube would be a good source. I've seen a number of HAM related videos on the site that are designed specifically to teach about specific HAM related topics. It doesn't really offer the ability to ask questions but it may provide the "one on one" atmosphere that you are looking for. Watch them at your own pace, even multiple times if you wish until you absorb the information. Then, go on to the next video. Gordon West, a fairly well known HAM enthusiast, publishes a few study books. He may do videos as well.

bharvey2

Good question. I don't really have an answer. I guess when I see the word "ham" I think of pork. Probably just a making a subconscious distinction. Hmmm, this might be why my wife won't take me out in public! :)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Good question. I don't really have an answer. I guess when I see the word "ham" I think of pork. Probably just a making a subconscious distinction. Hmmm, this might be why my wife won't take me out in public! :)

No big deal.. I was just mildly curious. It's becoming more and more commonly used and I was wondering why :)

SCPD

QRT
Okay becuase I am trying to get this down by the upcoming winter...... I don't think could get it done by the time that is need to get it done

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Try neighboring counties, search online for local amateur radio clubs and send them an email. I'm sure there are some Elmer's who would be happy to help you.

You can also check out Wrong Planet (dedicated to autism). There's a ton of forum posts from people who have obtained their HAM license...and I'm betting a quick shout out to one will lead you in the right direction or land you an Elmer :)

Index page | Wrong Planet Autism Community Forum

But definately don't sell yourself short. You can totally get your license.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.