RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Severe Weather / Storm Chasing

Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - Forum for the discussion of severe weather radio communications and storm chasing radio communications related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Northern Ilinois NOAA Frequencies

Can anyone tell me what preferred frequency should I use for NOAA weather alerts in Northern Illinois/Palatine?

By the NOAA Map, it appears to be KZZ81, Lockport. That is a frequency of 162.425, and is very strong reception. However, when I monitor that frequency, they say it is for severe weather alerting in Chicago, and South/West Suburbs.

Just wondering. Some of my radios do not have FIPS capacity, so I must tune in a channel. Will KZZ81 work? Thanks. Greg
Old 05-19-2017, 2:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The following page appears to indicate Cook county is fully covered by that transmitter so it should be good to use as your main channel.

NOAA Weather Radio KZZ81

Shawn
Old 05-19-2017, 5:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I thank you for your reply. I did not state in my original post that I wanted to monitor Lake County, IL., as well. The only way to get All I wanted, Cook, Dupage, and Lake was to use the 162.550 frequency. That channel reports for a large area, including Lake Michigan. Am I correct it assuming that the radio will only alert me to those 3 FIPS codes? Thanks again. Greg
Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 AM

The FIPS capable radios will alert on those three provided you select "Multiple FIPS" and not single and program all FIPS for those counties. Some larger counties may have multiple FIPS for one county.
The radios that are not FIPS capable will receive alerts for all counties within the coverage area of the local weather office. For example, Indianapolis office covers 40 counties. Without FIPS, any alert transmitted on 162.55 for any of the 40 counties will be received.
Old 05-20-2017, 1:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scansalot52 View Post
The FIPS capable radios will alert on those three provided you select "Multiple FIPS" and not single and program all FIPS for those counties. Some larger counties may have multiple FIPS for one county.
The radios that are not FIPS capable will receive alerts for all counties within the coverage area of the local weather office. For example, Indianapolis office covers 40 counties. Without FIPS, any alert transmitted on 162.55 for any of the 40 counties will be received.
Thank you. Two nights ago I used a non-FIPS radio next to my bed as it was a pretty bad night here. The only station I could pull in was 162.550, covering a very large distance, including the Lake. I was up most the night. Today all my FIPS radios are programmed for 3 counties only, but still pulling in 162.550.

This Wednesday when they do the weekly test, I'm lining up all my scanners, portables and base units, plus all my dedicated weather radios, and watch my wife's eyes roll when they ALL go off at once.

Thanks again guys! Greg