RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Severe Weather / Storm Chasing

Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - Forum for the discussion of severe weather radio communications and storm chasing radio communications related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 8:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FWIW most newer cell phones have PUSH message capability. If you have that activated, you'll receive WX alerts in your current location no matter where in the US you are. No special app required.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2018, 11:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc4jgc View Post
FWIW most newer cell phones have PUSH message capability. If you have that activated, you'll receive WX alerts in your current location no matter where in the US you are. No special app required.
Yes my Tracfone has this and I set it up when ever we get severe weather warnings it activates
Old 04-03-2018, 1:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Weather Push Alerts

The weather push alerts on the smartphone (assuming you are referring to emergency alert system all smartphones come with, along with the Amber alert system) ONLY goes off if the threat is severe enough, such as Tornado Watch or Warning. However, my smartphone's emergency push alert never activates for severe thunderstorm warning or snowstorm warning.

But, WeatherAlertUSA seems to work very well. It was a little tricky figuring out how to set it up, unneccesarily complicated website, but I got it working. I am sure there are also weather apps that send push alerts to your phone as well, but I am not aware of any good ones. I also use the weather underground app, which seems to be even more accurate and up to date than NOAA, but still doesn't send me push alerts for some reason. I have to go into the app itself to view any warnings or alerts.
Old 04-03-2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ZGE View Post
Thanks for all of your feedback. Yes, my County supposesly uses a service called First Alert, however it seemed to have stopped working this year. It is strange how these systems come and go, yet never tell you if they are no longer running all the time. I think I will give Weather USA a try first and see how that works. Thanks again.
I will pm you with a solution that we have for many public safety an email agencies. The NWS component is based on EMWIN and IPAWS.
Old 04-03-2018, 7:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you very much.
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 AM
NYC/NNJ DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You could also follow the local NWS and OEM offices' Twitter feed and have them sent to your mobile device. I do that here in NYC.
NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @8:30PM 449.025/123.0 PL (147.360/107.2 PL back-up)
http://www.nyc-arecs.org, http://www.n2nov.net
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2nov View Post
You could also follow the local NWS and OEM offices' Twitter feed and have them sent to your mobile device. I do that here in NYC.

That is a great idea. Users. An enable twitter notifications and so long as the particular agency does not continuously blow up their twitter feed, it should not be too annoying with useless information.
Old 04-05-2018, 2:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good idea Charlie, as long as they don't constantly "tweet" about other insignificant things.
Old 04-06-2018, 7:58 PM
NYC/NNJ DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I find NWS New York and NYC OEM to be manageable. Of course, in my capacity I need to be aware of more than just severe weather.
NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @8:30PM 449.025/123.0 PL (147.360/107.2 PL back-up)
http://www.nyc-arecs.org, http://www.n2nov.net
Old 04-18-2018, 7:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've received alerts from commercial sources about 1-2 minutes faster than alerts from iNWS.