Should I Get A Home Weather Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was at my local Fleet Farm this afternoon and started looking at clocks and radios. I was sort of fascinated by some of the home weather stations. I suspect that at least some people on this forum have one. Anyway, is it something worthwhile? If so, what are some considerations to help me select one?

Or, am I overthinking this and should just be satisfied with what is available on-line and on the TV and radio stations?

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Get One!

Yes... get one! I did the same several years ago... found a LaCrosse station identical to one I had at a previous home for $69 on closeout at Fleet Farm. Hard-wired it all together, connected it to a 'puter and put it on Weather Underground. So, wherever I am, at work, on vacation in AZ, I can see what the weather is at my house. Definitely a fun and worthwhile project!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILWAUCO4#history

I was at my local Fleet Farm this afternoon and started looking at clocks and radios. I was sort of fascinated by some of the home weather stations. I suspect that at least some people on this forum have one. Anyway, is it something worthwhile? If so, what are some considerations to help me select one?

Or, am I overthinking this and should just be satisfied with what is available on-line and on the TV and radio stations?

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely! I had a Davis Vantage Vue up at my old house for over 3 years with zero issues. It was damaged in the move to our new house. Actually ordered a replacement this week and put it on the antenna mast this evening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
In past 25 years I have used Davis, LaCross, and Oregon Scientific home weather stations. For the past two years I have used a Davis Vantage Vue. No question, the Vantage Vue has been the best. It just works without any issues.

majoco

Stirrer
Looking at your local temperature and humidity is always interesting but more importantly from a forecasting viewpoint is the atmospheric pressure. You need it to be reasonably accurate so if you can get the actual pressure from an airport ATIS or even just phone the ground controller you can set your barometer to read the same. I have one that was liberated from an airport control tower so is pretty good, it moves with changes of less than 2mBar - yours will probably be calibrated in 'inches of water' - 29.92" is the same as 1013mBar - the "International Standard Pressure". One major warning - DON'T tap the glass! Tap the surrounding wood, metal or whatever. Some good YouTubes on how to understand what the baro is telling you, some unfortunately not so good.

jackj

I have had a Davis Vantage VUE for several years now. The logging software on the computer will record and save the readings. I track my utilities cost and being able to come up with the local heat/cooling index gives a much more accurate picture of my costs.

A word of advice, decide what you want to do with it. There are two interface modules, one for local info and one for direct Internet use. They are extra cost modules, the desk-top display will only hold one.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've got a Davis Vantage Pro2. I've had it for six years. Five years prior to that I ran an Orion Scientific weather station. So I've been 'weather aware' for eleven years now... It has a USB interface, and using a software package called Weather Display, I can log all the info from the station and access it over the internet.

I have it showing up on aprs.fi https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/VE4CY&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On the Weather Underground https://www.wunderground.com/weather/ca/woodlands/IMANITOB28?cm_ven=pwsdash_cityforecast

On FindU.com VE4CY

And of course, it can be accessed directly on my personal server Woodlands, Manitoba, Canada - Weather - Home

Edit... And for its worth.. The other day we had a real wind blow through. It was shaking the house. I didn't have to wonder how windy it was. My anemometer showed steady 30 to 40 MPH winds and logged a maximum gust of 50 MPH.. The TV and radio gets its info from an airport that's 27 miles away. The winds can vary quite a bit over 27 miles, so I know what my station reported was the true wind speed at my location.. Also, when I go on vacations to warm places in the winter, I can look back and see what it's like around my house...

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much the same APRS , COIR, etc.

Who is your web host? Looking for some minimal one just for WX. My existing host is too much$$$ for what I now use,

I've got a Davis Vantage Pro2. I've had it for six years. Five years prior to that I ran an Orion Scientific weather station. So I've been 'weather aware' for eleven years now... It has a USB interface, and using a software package called Weather Display, I can log all the info from the station and access it over the internet.

I have it showing up on aprs.fi https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/VE4CY&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On the Weather Underground (webcam is offline there) https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMANITOB28

On FindU.com VE4CY

And of course, it can be accessed directly on my server Woodlands, Manitoba, Canada - Weather - Home

ab5r

A simple question for you: Do you consider yourself a "weather nerd" or just want inclement weather notices pertaining to you county?

I own BOTH; a weather radio and Davis Vantage Vue. Admittedly, I love meteorology and many other sciences, but own a SAME type receiver for weather ALERTS.

Regards

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much the same APRS , COIR, etc.

Who is your web host? Looking for some minimal one just for WX. My existing host is too much$$$ for what I now use,

I deal with a Canadian company called saveonhosting.com

I buy a three year term which works out to $5.00 per month in Canadian dollars. Which would be about $3.90 US at today's exchange rate.

frankdrebbin

I've had a Davis Vantage Vue for a few years now. I've had to change the rain sensor board 3 times and now they won't sell me one I'll have to buy a new Sensor Suite. The anemometer has never recorded accurate wind speed. My roof feels like it's gonna blow away and it'll show 10 mph. There's no calibrating that either. About once a year I gotta climb onto the roof and change the battery in it. I'm getting the Pro next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.