Lightning Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

HF and below.

They are looking for impulses, not carriers.

SkipSanders

Silent Key

K0AZV

NeFire242 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_detector

What freq do these operate at, and is there a list of their locations? I've seen software cover even rural areas pretty well, so you would think there would be a vast network of these.

http://www.strikestarus.com/StrikeStarUS_Stats.html

This is a local site out of the St. Louis MO area.
http://www.shelleys.net/NexStrm/StormVue.html

http://www.boltek.com/
These guys make the instrumentation.

http://www.lightningnetwork.org/lightning/
another site with listings of dectector locations.

Max...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Individual detectors are great with the direction, but not very good with distance. You need a network to triangulate, and if you have GRLevelX radar software you can add on USPLN lightning data, updated every 1-2 minutes, for just a few dollars per month. MUCH more value than buying a Boltek.

elephant

The low end of the AM band works pretty good for lightning detection. I built a device that uses an AM radio tuned to 530. Since there's no station there, it's pretty silent, until a lightning strike occurs. Then the static discharge has enough volume to charge a capacitor which in turn is fed into an IC. Depending on the voltage, the IC will light up a number of LEDS.

The closer and stronger the storm is, the more LEDs that light up. I have 9. 3-green, 3-yellow and 3-red. It's not accurate by any means but it's cool to watch as the storms approach.

It cost practically nothing to build, but with some imagination, you can make it look like a very expensive piece of equipment. So, an AM radio with a few added parts can make a nice, but inaccurate, lightning detector.

zguy1243

elephant101 said:
The low end of the AM band works pretty good for lightning detection. I built a device that uses an AM radio tuned to 530. Since there's no station there, it's pretty silent, until a lightning strike occurs. Then the static discharge has enough volume to charge a capacitor which in turn is fed into an IC. Depending on the voltage, the IC will light up a number of LEDS.

The closer and stronger the storm is, the more LEDs that light up. I have 9. 3-green, 3-yellow and 3-red. It's not accurate by any means but it's cool to watch as the storms approach.

It cost practically nothing to build, but with some imagination, you can make it look like a very expensive piece of equipment. So, an AM radio with a few added parts can make a nice, but inaccurate, lightning detector.

Can you post some more details on how to build it? Sounds like a neat project.
Thanks

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I'd think you'd only need 1 Red LED, and if you're close enough to watch it actually light up, you will probably have bigger problems real soon. :eek:

elephant

zguy1243 said:
Can you post some more details on how to build it? Sounds like a neat project.
Thanks

I'd love to share how to build the lightning detector. I have drawn out a schematic, but I have no way to scan it and upload it as a jpg. I tried doing it with just a ascii (text), but it came out looking like crap.

If you have any suggestions on how to post the schematic, let me know. I'd be willing to try anything, so others can have the fun of building it.

By the way, besides an old AM radio, the only other parts are a diode, 4-resistors, 9-LED's of assorted colors, a LM3914 IC, and 1-capacitor.

The audio out of the radio is fed into pin 3 of the IC thru the diode. It also feeds into the cap, which charges for each lightning crash. This gives the LEDs a little time to stay on.
There is also a resistor across the cap that allows it to discharge so the LED's don't stay on all the time.

The rest if it is pretty basic. Do a google search for a LM3914N chip. That will give you a good idea on how to hook up the LED's and the 2-resistors that go to the chip.

Any other questions, just let me know.

lurking

This has peaked my curiosity. I think I'll try to build one and play with this.
Thanks for the great idea.

shelleys1

Ballwin, MO - We are moving to Austin, TX 1 Mar. 2
Thanks Max!

K0AZV said:
http://www.strikestarus.com/StrikeStarUS_Stats.html

This is a local site out of the St. Louis MO area.
http://www.shelleys.net/NexStrm/StormVue.html

http://www.boltek.com/
These guys make the instrumentation.

http://www.lightningnetwork.org/lightning/
another site with listings of dectector locations.

Max...

Hi Max,

Thanks for putting up my Boltek site! My weather page is a lot of fun too...

www.shelleys.net/wxindex.htm

The Boltek is an awesome system and really isn't difficult to find another couple of stations to triangulate off of (contrary to some of the other posts.) *smile*

My range is excellent, reaching out VERY accurately - well past 375 miles in diameter! I've had the system up and running for over 18 months and it has never given me any trouble. It, along with the Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station, is up 24/7 except when I'm doing my quick backups and that only takes a couple of minutes each day. (I do like to go through a fast reboot after the backup...nice clean caches. lol)

Weather Underground has been using the lightning feeds from StrikeStar (the North American Boltek Systems feed) for the last year or so as an option on their NEXRAD radar. The system here can be selected on the 63011 Zip NEXRAD screen, if you choose to show the experimental lightning strikes and we have one of our many thunderstorms, or even a tornado or two, going on within the NEXRAD radius screen.

I carefully studied, for several years, the different detection systems which were available. I know there are others which are quite good but for my purposes and for the kind of storms and the tracking I wanted to do, I decided the Boltek system, along with the NexStorm software, was going to be my best choice. I've never once regretted my decision!

Thanks again for putting up my lightning site! I'm glad you liked it and I hope you get a chance to visit my weather page. It updates virtually live - every two seconds! Enjoy!

Shelley :)
K0SHL
www.shelleys.net/wxindex.htm

P.S. editing to add - my strikes update virtually instantaneously. Even at long distances, updates are no more than a few seconds. That's the whole point (and beauty) of having the other stations to triangulate off of. The software makes it pretty easy to adjust one's antenna properly as well - making sure even though it was pointing north when mounted, it wasn't moved slightly when tightening down the bolts or bumped later on. Testing can and should be done as soon as the antenna is mounted and isn't a difficult process. It just takes some patience (and a pad of paper! hahaaa)

Last edited:

lightning123

I'd love to share how to build the lightning detector. I have drawn out a schematic, but I have no way to scan it and upload it as a jpg. I tried doing it with just a ascii (text), but it came out looking like crap.

If you have any suggestions on how to post the schematic, let me know. I'd be willing to try anything, so others can have the fun of building it.

By the way, besides an old AM radio, the only other parts are a diode, 4-resistors, 9-LED's of assorted colors, a LM3914 IC, and 1-capacitor.

The audio out of the radio is fed into pin 3 of the IC thru the diode. It also feeds into the cap, which charges for each lightning crash. This gives the LEDs a little time to stay on.
There is also a resistor across the cap that allows it to discharge so the LED's don't stay on all the time.

The rest if it is pretty basic. Do a google search for a LM3914N chip. That will give you a good idea on how to hook up the LED's and the 2-resistors that go to the chip.

Any other questions, just let me know.

if you already drawed out the schmatics then go to a libray and ask them to copy it for you.including that this is a nice project. Ive been dieying to try this but i dont know where to get the parts from.Can you tell me where you get the parts from.idk any electronic stores.im only 13. and i just figured out what these oarts are

lightning123

oh and elaphant 101 ask them to scan it with here copyier and then ask them to send your schmatics by email

lightning123

oh and i found a store.and wats the voltage and the wattage to the lightning detector.and where do i find a lm3914 ic.i couldnt find it at the store im going to

Status
Not open for further replies.