ALA1530S+ versus Pro-1B

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Okay folks, the battle is about to begin -- and not the one in Iran either...

I have *TWO* loops now!

(Wait -- is this even legal or do I need a license for multiple loops? Someone please advise!)

Unlike other reviews, this will be a totally unfair test with results tainted in any way I see fit -- most likely depending on how I feel at the time -- or at least until one of the vendors offers me a bribe.

I will be pitting these two loops against each other in a classic good versus evil test and will not present any strange, negative-number test data. This will not be a scientific test. In fact, I will be using tarot cards to decide the winner. If that fails, then a random coin flip will have to do. And if that fails, well, then I'll just make stuff up.

Which loop is good or evil will be up for YOU to decide. I don't really care as long as it works. Good is usually boring and evil is usually fun. What does that have to do with antenna reviews? I dunno either.

The trusty Perseus SDR will be the measuring device -- and lets not forget those tarot cards!

Picture and video links will be provided -- be forewarned that they may have some disturbing and graphic antenna scenes -- and thus will be rated "Z" in honor of Zulu time.

The initial preview will be posted soon.

ridgescan

can the mods set this thread up as a poll? it would be cool if we could cast a vote and see the results. thanks Nick for doing this test:)

SCPD

QRT
can the mods set this thread up as a poll? it would be cool if we could cast a vote and see the results. thanks Nick for doing this test:)

Ridge, that's a good idea. I'll add a poll once the review is posted. It'll take a while for the data to come in. It's not going to happen overnight. :)

Turbo68

Hi Nick my old man wreckins they are fairly close both loops monotoring hf aero that was done on 2 Ten Tec-340 hf receivers have to admit i borrowed the Pixel Pro-1A to see how it goes against my Wellbrook-ALA1530,ALA1530AL-1,ALA1530L,ALA330S they are 10 metres high with RG213 coax results was happy with either but prefer the wellbrook easier to mount on the pole..

Regards Lino..

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This is going to be epic and sure to go viral.

SCPD

QRT
PixelSatRadio Pro-1B Pictures

Here are some really bad photos -- it was raining and I rushed these shots a bit.

The weird-looking loop:

pix1.jpg

The white box is the preamp module shown mated to the loop. Unlike the Wellbrook, the preamp module is separate from the power injector. The preamp casing is plastic and is mounted on the metal plate but against nylon washers.

Notice the SUPER DUPER heatshrink tubing to prevent moisture ingress! Wellbrook needs this badly IMHO.

You can also see the mount. Getting to the nuts is a bit tricky. But when is getting to nuts ever NOT tricky!

pix2.jpg

Sorry the PixelSat is a bit camera shy.

pix3.jpg

Last edited:

woebbers

I'm wondering what They made different from the A model to the B... They offered me an upgrade for 200.00 maybe I might do it., if I don't I will feel like I'm missing something ;)

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Waterfall shows higher gain levels for the Wellbrook.

Jimepage

The ALA has the Stanag video hands down. The 2nd video is kind of inconclusive in my opinion. I couldnt tell if it was fade or ala was weaker. The one ham didnt stay transmitted long enough to make a good judgement. Maybe do an 18mhz one again?

SCPD

QRT
The ALA has the Stanag video hands down. The 2nd video is kind of inconclusive in my opinion. I couldnt tell if it was fade or ala was weaker. The one ham didnt stay transmitted long enough to make a good judgement. Maybe do an 18mhz one again?

I posted this one because it was typical of the results I'm seeing. The Pro-1B is consistently a few dB stronger between 16-20 Mhz.

This jives with other reviews that measure between the two.

nanZor

Great review with vids - I think you guys are going to make me stop dragging my feet and jump into the future. :)

Are the loops tested in an isolated condition - that is each being the only antenna connected to the receiver and not going through antenna switches and the like for the test? You know me, I'm a common-mode paranoid guy. :)

Great testing! - appreciate it.

SCPD

QRT
Are the loops tested in an isolated condition - that is each being the only antenna connected to the receiver and not going through antenna switches and the like for the test?

I use a high-quality Alpha Delta 2-port switch for testing. This switch is connected to my station ground. The switch has .1 dB loss @ 30 Mhz and >60dB port isolation.

For grins, i connected the 1530S+ to the Perseus directly and there was zero measureable difference between direct or indirect connection thru the switch.

woebbers

Hertzian

My pixel loop is going to a quality splitter feeding my Icm r-75 and a Winradio Excalibur. I tried direct and thru the switch with no change that I can see or here. So I would feel fine with a comparison between the 2 thru a coax switch. But that's me :)

Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.