5.8 mhz morse code broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrizby

I just happened to be up one morning cruising around with the shortwave radio, when I heard a morse code broadcast. This occurred at around 2:30 am July 2. The signal was S9 and I was able to record some of it. Hopefully I will be able to pick up what it says.
Anybody else get this kind of message and any idea where they are coming from(difficult if not impossible to know).
5.8 Mhz Am broadcast in morse code.

Just curious

EasyRadio

This was probably a Cuban Morse numbers station (M08) - they've used 5.8 MHz for years. There was a thread about this in "HF/MW/LW General Discussion" not too long ago.

chrizby

gutuu trdan wargg dddng adird wwtdn uwniw aning arawu naawi tggig uiwwg wwwir rwann aiwdi ugwtw twaut naana rtgta duggi ar ar sk

That was the last line and the only thing I was able to record. Make of it what you will. There are too many
r's to be cut numbers, I would assume.
Oh well . Just castro ordering the latest copy of Iron Man on Blu-ray.

cut numbers
1 ·- A
2 ··- U
3 ·-- W
4 ···- V
5 ··· S
6 -··· B
7 --· G
8 -·· D
9 -· N
0 - T typically a long dash

EasyRadio

Of course, there could be any number of cut number formats. For whatever reason, ENIGMA seems to think that M08a uses 1=A, 2=N, 3=D, 4=U, 5=W, 6=R, 7=I, 8=G, 9=M and 0=T as indicated in their control lists. How would any of us really know? And even if we did, we still couldn't decipher the message.

chrizby

Ok, so its a number station.
Its always fascinating to hear these morse code broadcasts that are not in the Ham bands. Especially,
since I can only recently get close to figuring out what is being sent. Even if only remotely.
Thanks for the info.

N5RLR

My girlfriend and I just stumbled across this while tuning across the bands. She's tickled pink at it possibly being "real" spycraft.
tongue-wink.gif

Menace2083

Premium Subscriber
I listen to the morse code on 5.8 and 5.9 all the time, but do not understand one thing. I have cwget, which is a morse code translator, it uses the internal mic of my laptop to pick up the dits and the das. It works fine, I have tested it with known morse code communications, but when I try to translate what I hear on 5.8 and 5.9, it is just random letters mostly e's and t's. I wonder why. I would understand if it were random numbers. cwget is free, just do a search.

w2xq

Mentor
If you look to your area library you will find several good books written since the 1950's that cover the history of cryptography. Interesting reading. (I don't remember the titles anymore.) The number stations -- voice and code -- have been around for as long as I can remember. Only those persons with the current "pad" can decode the message. Don't expect to make sense of the contents. HTH.

majoco

Stirrer
I have tested it with known morse code communications, but when I try to translate what I hear on 5.8 and 5.9, it is just random letters mostly e's and t's. I wonder why.

Because it doesn't understand cut numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.