Glen Hauser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

...the "DX Blog" Anyone here besides me listen to him? He's on right now on 4840khz his program is Sat evenings at 0200-0300UTC. Interesting loggings. He mentioned Radio Sweden will still be simulcast on a SW station so they really won't be off shortwave-which is basically no different than before since they were being relayed through Sackville to the U.S. anyway. So you guys who like Radio Sweden can rest easy. I tried to copy the station that will carry Sweden but as my crap luck had it he said it right at the fadeout-I thought I heard WRMI-going to google around and see what I can.

Last edited:

ridgescan

Hey WRF:) did you happen to catch last night's broadcast? Anyways I suppose we will find out sooner or later who that is that will carry Sweden. Yeah Glen Hauser is cool-it's nice to have his program to go to.

CLynch7

He used to have a podcast of the show, but it stopped suddenly last year.

If I were a rich man, I'd build a relay station here in GA, and give nearly free time to the stations that have abandoned North America and SW completely. Go the easy way and broadcast the internet audio feed.

ridgescan

Yeah that sucks just like Radio Shack abandoned radios and went the easyway-frikkin cellphones:( but at least for now-we can enjoy the thrill of capturing the English transmissions of overseas SW. I don't even want to think about the other guys following suit.

k9rzz

My favorite moment from listening to Glen Houser was when he once reported the reception of a tropical station out of Africa. It was something like: " ... and conditions were good with a surprise reception of Ouagadougou on 3285khz."

Oooga - Oooga who?

I never forgot that report and now I'll never forget where Ouagadougou is! (Google it)

Sure would love to log that one!

Speaking of Ouagadougou, when I was in college we had a ham radio club with a kick a** station (Collins S-line + Kenwood kilowatt + 4 el 20m monobander up 120ft) and one day I worked an american kid my same age who was doing missionary work in Bamako (Google it). When he found out that I was at a college station, he quickly asked if there was anyone who could help him with his correspondence home work for his own degree. I offered, and we had a weekly sked where we talked math, physics, what not. Now, anyone out of Bamako was super rare DX and folks were always trying to break in to get their contact for DXCC. That was so much fun, me being the 'big gun' saying "Hold on, he'll work you in a minute!" then get back to our conversation.

Ahhh, those were the days! Hi Hi
icon10.gif

Last edited:

pm4hire

Glenn Hauser has been keeping world band radio alive all
by himself. I suggest everyone who as a few extra bucks
contribute to his PayPal account.

mondomusique

Glenn Hauser has been keeping world band radio alive all
by himself. I suggest everyone who as a few extra bucks
contribute to his PayPal account.

Yeah, I'm going to send in a Paypal contribution to start the new year. His Dec 29 audio cast was exemplary, an interesting mix of facts and editorial comments plus a few sw broadcast clips thrown in. He's a sharp mind (has to be to pull off what he does each week).

gpsblake

Hauser does his show every week. Most people just download it from the web at his website. There are also other Dxing programs out there. Among these are Wavescan, Australian DX report, DX Partyline, and some others.

But one sad note, is that most people (if not 90 percent) do download those shows from the web instead of listen on the shortwave radio itself. In a way, you can't blame anyone, the shows are just like shortwave, shaky at best to receive a lot, times always changing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.