Pirates tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As is the normal custom, they will no doubt be on tonight - around 6925 and other freqs too.

That is, as a good friend of mine would say, if one were to know such things... :lol:

Happy new year all Mike

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the fun has already started:

6950.6 khz AM - 12/31/10 1338 UTC - Radio Ronin Shortwave blasting in this morning with classic rock at S-8 to +10 over.

Look at this signal!

Attachments

• Radio Ronin Shortwave 6950 khz 31DE10 1353 UTC.jpg
    Radio Ronin Shortwave 6950 khz 31DE10 1353 UTC.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,223

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Pirates can be very funny at times but there is one fly in the ointment. Music on SSB sounds pretty crappy, they'd sound a world better using tricked out audio boat anchor ham AM transmitters. Happy New Year and happy listening... if you have nothing better to do. (;->)

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
7775 khz AM - 12/31/2010 2057 UTC - WBNY "Radio Bunny" also simulcasting on 6900 khz AM. Better here on the higher frequency.

kb2vxa

Banned
Ah yes, WBNY and Commander Bunny leader of the Rodent Revolution. Not to be confused with OUR Bunneh over on Misfit Island W3BNY, Ren's a furry of another sort altogether.

W3BNY...Bunneh Amateur Radio!

About w3bny

Biography
Second adopted son of kindly black Filipino sharecroppers

Interests
Bunneh type things

Occupation
Bunneh!

Callsign
W3BNY

Last edited:

mondomusique

Do you think it's possible to get my half hour music show called Mondo Musique broadcast on a shortwave pirate station?

I would like to bring my hobbies together, dj-ing and shortwave listening. I do a world music/jazz/dance/electronic mix, it's sort of dubbed out and trippy (a lot like an evening of SWL). I've done college FM radio.

Any ideas on how to get put on pirate shortwave? I guess the first step would be to post a half hour installment on a website and let some pirate operators know it's there and would like to have it broadcast on shortwave.

I heard the 6925khz pirate broadcast on New Year's eve, down in with static but some music lyrics were audible (some scrappy punk rock was being played).

I have a Sony ICF-SW55 portable and a Wellbrook ALA-100M antenna, live in Halifax, Canada (city so not a low RFI environment) and about a 3 hour drive from the Radio Canada Sackville transmission site. :)

kb2vxa

Banned
"Do you think it's possible to get my half hour music show called Mondo Musique broadcast on a shortwave pirate station?"

Only if someone is willing to tempt the Sword of Damocles. A half hour is 25 minutes spent luring the FCC, don't you think they're listening too?

"Any ideas on how to get put on pirate shortwave?"

Not exactly pirate but as close as you'll ever get with a mind numbing 250KW transmitter.
WBCQ The Planet

mondomusique

Only if someone is willing to tempt the Sword of Damocles. A half hour is 25 minutes spent luring the FCC, don't you think they're listening too?

Interesting. The FCC don't take New Years eve off? hehe. Seriously, I thought the risks to infrequent shortwave pirates were reduced in recent years, but perhaps the risk of an FCC desist letter (or worse) are still mighty real.

I will check out WBCQ.

Tks

thebeav

Years ago, I used to enjoy logging pirates on 1620 khz.
I know, since then, the Medium wave band has been expanded, I believe to 1710 khz.
Are pirates ever heard on the old 1620 ?

Thanks.....

Paul

charlielinn

Don't know where you're listenin' from, beav..but here in N Cal everything above 1600 khz is
high-power Religious programming, and/or Big Mexican stations. I've been trying to "scout it out,"
but so far nuthin like "pirates". Do remember when they were allover up there past 1600, tho. Good days then.

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Never heard much pirate activity here, but just caught "Radio Free Euphoria" around 2300 on 5109.75 must be a rebroadcast of an old show.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not a pirate - more likely WBCQ Maine relaying the program (per the NASWA spreadsheet)

best regards Mike

mondomusique

Based on a post on HFUnderground message board last night, I tuned in 6950khz and heard Wolverine Radio with a strong and clear USB signal...

Jan 23 from 0313utc, 6950khz USB Wolverine Radio

0313 "Driving Me Crazy" song then Wolverine Radio ID and cycling electronic tone
0317 rock songs then "Too Much Stereo" song to 0324
0327 Wolverine Radio ID
0334 latin rhythm rock song
0348 signal strength went down
0350 signal was gone

That was fun listening..

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Wolverine Radio is a very good example of just how well music can sound over SSB. I always enjoy their broadcasts when I catch them.

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
0530utc pirate caught here on 5109.75khz usb-playing Tom Petty's "Into The Great Wide Open":)

Same freq active now, parody ads, f-bombs galore. "Jersey teddy bear" ad as I type. Radio New York International with John Lightning on WBCQ. Sounding great in ECSS USB . The freq is listed as 5110 but my SDR-IQ says exactly 5109.75 and not full AM. Interesting listening between the fades.

ridgescan

Same freq active now, parody ads, f-bombs galore. "Jersey teddy bear" ad as I type. Radio New York International with John Lightning on WBCQ. Sounding great in ECSS USB . The freq is listed as 5110 but my SDR-IQ says exactly 5109.75 and not full AM. Interesting listening between the fades.
SWEET! Thanks-I have them here too now-great signal-rocknroll baby:) and you are right-it's dead-on at 5109.7:)

Last edited:

mtnmadman

Premium Subscriber
AHHHH you uys are driving me NUTS... wife is sleeping w/ a migraine.. TV sucks, scanner quiet.....Oh well, got good $$$$$ today plowing snow.... hiding the $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.