old short wave radio in the garage !

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
about 55 plus years ago, my father had an old shortwave radio out in the garage. thing was about 4 ft tall and had 5-6 interchangeable "drawers" each drawer was a different set of frequencies. I attached a long-long wire to the back of the radio and strung it around the roof of the garage. I used to sit out there for hours listening to that radio. I was able to receive so many stations and the police were on there too. I have no clue what kind of radio it was or how it worked but wow did I have a great time listening to stations I just knew, no one else was able to listen to. I remember that big thing and look at the radios I have today. Wow we sure have come a long ways

majoco

Stirrer
Sounds like it was an HRO - big black or light blue thing with a large rotating knob in the centre that had windows with numbers which changed as you rotated the knob - the numbers referred to the chart on the front of the plug-in coil box so you could work out the frequency. Collector's item now - in good condition worth many dollars.

National HRO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting link in there to Bletchley Park - I went to the 'mansion' in 1968 to be 'initiated' into the "Civil Aviation Authority" - just a cover name for something to put off the nosey people. If that didn't work there was a big marine sergeant just behind the door.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.