DREAM Softwre And DRM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Not at all sure that this is the best, or correct, Forum for this.
if not, please just let me know.

Thought I'd try and see if I could pick anything up here in Boston from drm broadcasts.

Never played with drm before, but my understanding is that with the DREAM software, one could experiment a bit with it before spending the $50 for a full license.

Is this so ?

Anyway, I downloaded the DREAM software, and looked at their page, and apparently its usage isn't all that straightforward. Or simple.
There seem to be a bunch of .dll required, and some other manipulations.

So, does DREAM work ?

Is there a version that one can just (simply) load it and go ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There aren't many DRM broadcasts beamed to North America, Bob - in addition the additional sidebands that DRM generates wipes out any weaker signals that are beneath them, making them the bane of SWBC DXers (believe me, I got into a very long discussion on this very topic during the last Winterfest...).

When - and if - you get a clear DRM signal, nice and strong, it's really not all that hard to adjust the software and get a signal that sounds amazingly good (some people have put a 10k linear taper pot in line with the feed from their receiver so they can control the level without fooling around with their soundcard settings).

But notice I said ' When- and if -'

best regards..Mike

BOBRR

From OP: Re DRM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for info.

May try it, but will probably just forget about it.

As always, thanks for suggestions and help.

Best regards,
Bob

Jimepage

well a good frequency for North America to test Dream is 9800 khz RCI from sackville I don't have a drm capable receiver I don't even know how to use DRM but from the youtube vids it seems likeit would be well worth the investment for the world to have a few of them instead all anyone says is theres barely any around and its not worth the trouble.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Never played with drm before, but my understanding is that with the DREAM software, one could experiment a bit with it before spending the $50 for a full license.

So, does DREAM work ?

Yes, it works great once you get everything set up initially. I use Dream with my Perseus SDR to receive shortwave DRM broadcasts and the audio quality is impressive when you get a good lock. True, there aren't a lot of DRM broadcasts targeting the US, but RCI on 9800 khz puts out a strong DRM signal. I've also received Vatican Radio and REE via Costa Rica with strong signals resulting in no "drop outs" which is important with DRM. On weaker DRM signals I can sometimes get enough data to identify the broadcaster, even without decoding any audio - somewhat like RDS for shortwave. Oh, and the Dream software is free open source software. The only purchase I made was a piece of software called "Virtual Audio Cable" to tie the Dream software to the SDR running on my netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.