Unidentified Abandoned Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While en route to shooting range for machine gun target practice I came across this unidentified abandoned site. Can anyone identify? Site is across from Phnom Penh Airport Cambodia.

Last edited:

k9rzz

Wow, great catch! Post that to [SW BCB TX SITE ARCHIVE], or if you don't belong, I can post the link to this message. It's definitely a shortwave site of some sort.

E-Man

Banned
Thanks K9rzz, I am not a member of that site, please feel free to post.

I have been on the lookout for Shortwave Broadcast Stations, and Google has not been much of a help in my searches. I wish the pictures came out better to show more detail of the Antenna Array.

I just arrived in Ho Chi Mnh City, Vietnam. A Google Search turned up:

LBA Brings A Louder Voice To Vietnam

I am going to try to find this site tomorrow.

W2NJS

Aren't these photos of an installation in Cambodia? If so there's no connection to a Vietnamese radio network.

Unidentified sites

Hi electric man.

Re the Cambodian site. If you provide me with the exact geo coordinates via Google Earth of the spot you were standing & indicate the direction you were aiming with the camera I might be able to assist you positively with identification of the radio site.

If you are on the move in SE Asia we could help point you to interesting HF broadcasting transmitter sites. We sure would like to see more pictures here or elsewhere.

You may be interested in looking at this website.

sites.google.com/site/shortwavesites/home

or just google: shortwavesites

Regards

Ian

E-Man

Banned
Hi Ian,

Re the Cambodian site. If you provide me with the exact geo coordinates via Google Earth of the spot you were standing & indicate the direction you were aiming with the camera I might be able to assist you positively with identification of the radio site.

I am traveling light, just a backpack, I did not bring any of my electronic toys because I did not want to worry about theft. I did bring a compass but did not have it with me at the time of the photo. The site was across the street from the airport and a couple miles? down from a Cambodian Military Base. I tried to find the location on Google Maps, the detail was quite good, but I could not locate the tx site or the Base. I think I had to of been on Confederation de la Russie.

I tried providing a link, but after checking, the link was bad. If you search: Phnom Penh Airport, Phnom Penh, Cambodia in Google Maps you can see the area.

f you are on the move in SE Asia we could help point you to interesting HF broadcasting transmitter sites. We sure would like to see more pictures here or elsewhere.

Any help locating sites in Asia would be awesome, I am currently in Vietnam, my plans include travel to Laos, Thailand then back to Cambodia.

Thanks

n5ims

E-Man

Banned
Im not so sure that is the same site?, but I sure would like to find it if time allows when I am back in Phnom Phen. Thanks for posting.

E-Man

Banned
I am going to try to find this site tomorrow.

Follow up:

I will not be able to visit this site. It is not in District One as reported in the LBA link. It is in District 9 which is not on the map I have, and way too long of a bike ride. I rode many miles to the VOH HQ which is in District One. I was stopped by security and not allowed entry, when I asked for a tour they laughed and said no. This is the only picture I could take.

Last edited:
Radio Sites in Vietnam - ATTN Electricman

Hi Electricman,

A pity you were laughed at when when attempting to visit a studio/radio station office.
I wonder if contacting Radio The Voice of Vietnam by phone +84 (48) 254953 might be helpful before visiting sites, perhaps access coordinated from there. This is the headoffice in Hanoi. Its address is 58 Quan Su St. Hanoi ( I believe the HQ building was demolished & rebuilt on site recently. I couldn't find it on Google Maps/Earth though.

I visited a private shortwave radio station (studio/office) in Asia once & I asked if I could have a tour. They then asked me if I had visited any other radio station in their country & I foolishly said Yes, they then denied me a tour. So if asked that question, reply as "No" :p

The Asiawaves website might be a helpful resource for you if you are interested in FM/MW & SW sites in SE Asia. For shortwave I can assist.

In Vietnam I'm assuming you can access Google Maps at least rather than Google Earth, so providing you with coordinates would still benefit you, as I don't have addresses of other studios or shortwave transmitter sites sorry, but might be able to pull some street addresses from known coordinates of tx sites from Google Maps.

Really wanted by dxers is pics & accurate location of Voice of Vietnam sites at:
Son Tay 105 22E 21 12N (West of Hanoi) maybe near: Xa Xuan Som ?? (especially want to see pics of this site & accurately located), but it's around 30kms WNW of Hanoi.
Hanoi - Xuan Mai (somewhere around) 20 43N 105 33E 44km SE of Hanoi

We have this site located & identified with Panoramio picture here (below):
Hanoi - Me Tri 20 59N 105 47E western part of Hanoi

In southern Vietnam try: Buôn Mê Thuột
12 38 44N 108 01 03E - can see MW antenna, but not the SW antenna. If you see a SW antenna there please take a picture.

Other wanted (on air shortwave txer sites in Vietnam) are:
Dien Bien Phu Town on 6442kHz (no other details known)

If you provide me with your itinerary (off list) to me here: shortwavesites (at) gmail.com
I should be able to help you further.

Have fun with the finds, I'll reply further when I have more time.

Regards

Ian

E-Man

Banned
Hi Ian,

The picture is the Voice of Ho Chi Minh (VOH)

http://www.voh.com.vn/news/default.aspx

3 Nguyễn Đình Chiểu, phường Đa Kao, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Ho Chi Minh City 08 3822 5933 ‎

Bản đồ Google

When I make it to Hanoi, I will look for those sites, if they are not too far away, and time allows I will try to find those sites.

Thanks for posting location info, that should be a big help.

7designs

That's what this whole thread has been about... figuring out which site that was. Have you read the thread?

I was not asking what SW site the OP asked. I asked which website k9rzz asked the OP to post the pictures to.

Wow, great catch! Post that to [SW BCB TX SITE ARCHIVE], or if you don't belong, I can post the link to this message. It's definitely a shortwave site of some sort.

Guess I was not clear with my question.

k9rzz

I guess I could have worded that more carefully and made a distinction between transmitter site and website. That is a Yahoo discussion/email group.

Hooligan

While en route to shooting range for machine gun target practice I came across this unidentified abandoned site. Can anyone identify? Site is across from Phnom Penh Airport Cambodia.

It's not too unusual for major airfields (commercial or military) to have or have-had a small HF annex used for ATC and/or VOLMET type comms.

k9rzz

Looks like it's this one http://www.interior.gov.kh/uploads/files/TransmitterfullreportCambodiaRNKNov07.pdf with two Google Earth pics included in the .pdf (although the current Google Earth pic of the area has a cloud covering much of the site).

Dunno if anyone read this document, but I think it does shed some light on this transmitter site, although, I wonder if is the same place. I don't see any common towers or buildings in the photos. Thanks for posting it, however, as I enjoyed reading it anyway!

Last edited:

E-Man

Banned
It's not too unusual for major airfields (commercial or military) to have or have-had a small HF annex used for ATC and/or VOLMET type comms.

Thats what I was not sure about, Shortwave site or something related to the Airport, that may have become outdated.

The Airport was a US Air Force Base during the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.