6305khz AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

pirate-playing rock music:)
just IDd as "HF Underground" 0453utc. Playing Ozzy now:)
I zero'd them at 6304.8khz usb

Actually they now IDd as "Radio True North" at 0500utc-still broadcasting

Last edited:

woebbers

amazingly I have never snagged a pirate station. I think thats next on my list. What ya think ridge?...where is the best place for one to look for these stations?

Sal

Token

Without a doubt the best place to snag US pirates is around 6925 kHz. Form 6925 up to about 6960 or so, with most on 6925, 6930, 6935, and 6940 kHz. Both AM and USB are used, depending on the pirate.

Almost every night there are at least a couple on in this range. But, keep in mind, you might have to check often to catch one. Some broadcast for short duration, sometimes only a few songs. Others for hours on end.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved to the broadcast forum, as that's what most consider them, not utilities...

Anyway I managed to snag a copy of the handout from the Pirate forum at the last Winterfest, and I've posted a copy in our wiki (thanks to Dr. Harold Cones a.k.a Doctor DX). Pirates are a catch as catch can, but on occasion they will announce themselves before broadcasting on a couple of email distributors...

Pirates and Clandestines - The RadioReference Wiki

As Doctor DX himself says, if one were to know these things...best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By the way, that intro is not over the top. In certain Middle Eastern and South Asian countries (Singapore being one), pirate/clandestine activity can be punished by death in the most horrible of ways (I won't go into the details so as not to offend the sensitive...)

best regards..Mike

k9rzz

One not mentioned in that Wiki article is KSMR - Kentucky State Military Radio which broadcast on shortwave some ten years ago. Now THERE was a clandestine station from the USA.

ClandestineRadio.com: Intel: KSMR

A huge step above the typical US pirate who's main angst against the US Government is that nobody plays the right kind of music they want to hear, this one was truly anti federal government. You gotta give them credit for broadcasting on a regular basis with a fairly potent 500 watts. Unfortunately, they were only on for some 2 1/2 weeks. I wish I could find some audio clips of their station. I wasn't too active in radio at that time (1991) and never got the chance to hear them. These so called pirates now are just high schoolers playing radio with their ham gear. They may as well be on 11 meters as far as I'm concerned. :^]

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's why it's on the wiki - so others can add/change it as the need arises (hint, hint)

best regards..Mike

ridgescan

Thanks Mike for the proper move. Anyone ever hear of "True North"? I googled it and nothing about pirates. Also I take it the frequency is an unusual spot to find a pirate? By the way I checked just before bed at 0630 utc and they were still on which was at least an hour by my observation.

k9rzz

Where to Find Pirates

* Above the Medium Wave X Band above 1700 khz (should propagate well; underused but sometimes seen)
* 90 Meters - 3400-3500 khz (good propagation during the winter, but sparsely used). Euros 3800-4000 khz
* 49 Meters - 6220, 6240, 6219 and 6295 khz, plus or minus 40 khz (mostly Europirates)
* 43 Meters - 6925 khz plus or minus for QRM. Includes over 90% of recent broadcasts
* 41 Meters - 7375, 7465 and 7470 plus/minus 60 khz. Rarely used by pirates (beware WBCQ on 7415)
* 19 meters - 15050 khz, plus/minus 30 khz (mostly Europirates)
* Local FM - Worth an occasional scan at your location. Very active in some cities.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The freq is a bit odd, but that's the charm of pirates - you simply can't predict (without someone actually announcing it) where a pirate is going to show up. To a certain extent you must make like a gopher and DIG for them. Nice catch, by the way

best regards..Mike

ridgescan

Where to Find Pirates

* Above the Medium Wave X Band above 1700 khz (should propagate well; underused but sometimes seen)
* 90 Meters - 3400-3500 khz (good propagation during the winter, but sparsely used). Euros 3800-4000 khz
* 49 Meters - 6220, 6240, 6219 and 6295 khz, plus or minus 40 khz (mostly Europirates)
* 43 Meters - 6925 khz plus or minus for QRM. Includes over 90% of recent broadcasts
* 41 Meters - 7375, 7465 and 7470 plus/minus 60 khz. Rarely used by pirates (beware WBCQ on 7415)
* 19 meters - 15050 khz, plus/minus 30 khz (mostly Europirates)
* Local FM - Worth an occasional scan at your location. Very active in some cities.
Thanks k9 great pirate info there.

The freq is a bit odd, but that's the charm of pirates - you simply can't predict (without someone actually announcing it) where a pirate is going to show up. To a certain extent you must make like a gopher and DIG for them. Nice catch, by the way

best regards..Mike

Thanks Mike:)

ridgescan

I think I have a pirate on 6688 khz usb-playing "old time radio" 0346utc. Just stopped transmitting midstream at 0354utc

Last edited:
Yargh I am in Michigan and I cannot hear them, just tried. It might be what I am hearing on 6304.85 but it is so faint I do not know if it is just me wanting to hear it :)

pathalogical

It's my understanding from reading these forums that pirates often choose holidays or long weekends to broadcast. A few weeks ago during Easter I heard 6925 or on 6940 "WBNY Bunny Radio" they also had a mock Jesus interview and some guy shopping at the candle store.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
6305 Khz has been a popular spot lately for European pirate stations. I've caught a number of them here ("Radio Marconi", "Black Bandit Radio", etc.), as recently as last weekend. If you're near the east coast then check this frequency around your local sunset on weekends and you may get lucky.

I can't hear Radio True North here but I've seen many reports from listeners near the west coast.

ridgescan

Radio True North on now 0422utc playing rock. 6305AM. s7-s8 good signal..as usual they zero on 6304.84 on my r75. Interesting that the "dj" does time in utc. Refers to the broadcast as "free radio, free of the corrupt"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.