Recording SW broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlbrrg

Hey guys.

I'm brand new to the radio thing and all I've been doing is listening to SW broadcasts and SSB.

I'm wondering if there is a way to record broadcasts? Well, I know some use a computer for it, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way?

All I have right now is a SW radio, it has the line in, line out, headphone plug, and the antenna plugs. Is it possible to connect this to, say, an ipod or a zune and record?

I know it's kind of a broad question, I'm just really "green" and inexperienced. Any help would be appreciated.

k9rzz

Hey guys.

I'm brand new to the radio thing and all I've been doing is listening to SW broadcasts and SSB.

I'm wondering if there is a way to record broadcasts? Well, I know some use a computer for it, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way?

All I have right now is a SW radio, it has the line in, line out, headphone plug, and the antenna plugs. Is it possible to connect this to, say, an ipod or a zune and record?

I know it's kind of a broad question, I'm just really "green" and inexperienced. Any help would be appreciated.

Run a cable from your radio to your computer. Start up the recording software, and record.

Easier than that?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Given the proper adapters to fit the Ipod/Zune and your radio, I don't see why not. You say you have a line out on your radio - you're halfway home.

No doubt there are some apps out there that you could use to tailor or listen to selected recordings, and maybe to control/record them as well. Sounds like you need to make like a gopher, and dig a little...

best regards...Mike

k9rzz

So, enlighten me, whats the diff between running a wire to your iPod/whatever vs running a wire to your computer? Running an 'ap' vs software?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
He will still need an app to control the recording, or even to do the recording itself. The 'wire' between the 2 devices is only 1 step - just like you would do with a scanner....i.e. hook it up with a patch between the output and the line in of the PC, and use something akin to IDTracker to do the recording..unless, of course, there's already such an app on the IPod, which is likely...best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It should also be noted that some of these iPods have 64GB (yes you read that right) of storage so they could store a bunch of programs. Wish I had one of these when I was doing the SWL net in the Baltimore area for almost a decade....best regards..Mike

spacemissing

An easy way to get started would be to connect the line output of the radio
to the line input on any audio tape deck (cassette is easiest for most people).

If you have a VCR (preferably with HiFi sound), you can use it
to record 6 or 8 hours continuously, if desired.
A video camera aimed at a clock would provide an on-screen reference
to help you find any desired segment.

Experiment and have fun.

KJ6QKV

dnlbrrg

Well, first of all: thanks for the tips.

Secondly, my wife is right, I am sometimes an idiot. I mean, line out on the radio, line in on the computer (mic jack), recording program, and DUH! why didn't I think of that???

Well, it works, thanks guys.

majoco

Stirrer
...and if you use a programme called 'scanrec' (downloadable for free!) you can record stuff that comes on in the middle of the night and automatically starts recording then stops when the signal starts/stops. Saves to having to listen to hours of hiss! You can also listen to the good bits using Goldwave or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.