antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

...am so tired of the crap telescopic antennas on portable am/fm/sw radios. They bend and break if you look at them. Why not build am/fm/sw radios with a bnc rubber ducky antenna.

jeff

Morgan county Ohio

SCPD

QRT
What -- you expect a manufacturer to spend a whole $1 on that BNC connector? How dare you! :wink:

W2NJS

The short rubber antennas are much less efficient than that long rod on your radio that keeps breaking. I'm speaking of VHF/UHF/800 primarily. On HF they are virtually useless. There is no free lunch in antennas; you either make it be the right length or your suffer the consequences, which means it works, if at all, badly. On HF you won't hear much with any king of shortened antenna, including the long one that keeps breaking. Put up an outside wire and be done with it.

majoco

Stirrer
You see all those old movies where the cop pushes the extended antenna back into the radio by pushing the top with the palm of his hand with some force?

Well, that's how they get broken.

You should carefully pull each section down into the radio. I have radios that go back to the 60's that still have good unbent antennae.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 with Majoco. The only ones that broke on me,

will that was my fault. Fell off the table or in a hurry and not careful pushing it back in. I've actually got a telescope antenna on my Pro-107 for weather and works great.
But I do understand that for most people the telescopic antenna is bad news/

ridgescan

Got a metal tape measure laying around? Try this:) watch the meter as I connect the 14' of tape measure to the whip simply by wedging it under the whip's caphat. The signal easily becomes twice as strong as off the whip AND I had an extra centerload whip plugged into the rear jack of the Patrolman-90. So just 14' of tape measure outgunned two whip antennas in reception.
Metal Tape Measure SWL Antenna - YouTube

by the way I like this guy's little experiment-very cool and illuminates what can be done when antenna-restricted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f621HVMaH_Y&feature=related

Last edited:

jeffy

antenna

I've broken maybe 3 telescopic antennas in nearly 50 yrs.(I'm 55) of actual listening... probably bent as many... not a bad run imo. The fm on my pro 60 scanner comes in outstanding using the diamond RH77ca antenna and just a bit of a dropoff using a short rubber ducky. I live in southeastern Ohio and many of the FM stations i'm talking about are in and around Columbus 70 - 80 miles away as the crow flies. I bet if scanners were made today with cheapo telescopic antennas there'd be more than a few broken ones lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.