SWL Callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

The SWARL thing has been around for a few years now (started in 2002 I think), but it is still a relative newcomer. Kind of a rework of the old WR0 (1950's), WPE (1960's) and WDX (started in 1970) Monitor Services registration and certificate program. However, I like the format of the old system better, the IDs (example WR0BJS / WPE2BJS / WDX2BJS) just look more "right" to me than something like WA2081SWL. And at one time you had to prove reception of at least 5 SW stations with one outside your borders to get the certificate.

By the way, the old WDX Monitor Service registration still exist, you can still get a WDX ID and the printed certificate. However, they do not have a web page and only do it via snail mail as far as I know.

In my case my WDX registration and my W6 callsign have the same suffix, my initials, and the ham license (vanity call selected in 2007 when I finally talked myself into giving up my long held sequentially assigned one) and the WDX Monitor Certificate (that I got in the early 1970's) are framed next to each other.

Yeah, it don't mean a thing, but it is still neat....to me.

T!

riverrat373

I have a WDX7Q call sign from Hank Bennett issued 10-29-85 and a Monitor Station Registry KWA7BW issued by CRB Research on 6-7-85! I know they don't really mean much, but the certificates look cool hanging on my wall and they always impress non- DXers!

n3tzd

Many many many

years ago, 1960 - 70, Popular Electronics magazine was giving out SWL callsigns. Mine was WPE3GHP.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I see I'm not the only old fart around here, I even had 500 WPE2MTN cards printed, sent them out with printed report pages and got QSLs back. Yup, time marches on and now I have a callsign I can use when I plug in the speaker. <rimshot>

mrnavy2

Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, Central New Jersey
KDX2G Monitor and DX Headquarters

Mine was issued on Feb 28, 1985 with those call letters. Do you think that are still good to use or do I need to submit and request new call letters? I am just getting back into SWL after about 20 years. I have some many QSL cards also. The Certificate that I have is Red on a White/Brown background and sign by Amelia Greenwald and Hank Bennett.

zl2taw

yeah sure does bring back some memories, like many here around 1985 I joined the New Zealand Amateur Radio Transmitters (NZART) & was issued the swl callsign of ZL2-297. I too got QSL cards printed at the time.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Actually, a fellow named Joe Morris started the cert thing thst evolved over the years... de WR02AJ > WPE2AJ > WDX2AJ & W2XQ. And I still have all the certs, in mint condx. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.