Premium Subscriber
3219.55 KHz AM UNID - 0900-1058+ UTC June 2nd, 2012 - No idea who this
was, but a broad mix of music with frequent dead air between songs with
no announcements or ID. Guns N Roses "Welcome to the jungle" at 0954
UTC then into Phil Collins' "Land of Confusion". Heart "Barracuda" at
1015 UTC. Mostly poor, but rising up to S5 during signal peaks. I
noted +/- 10 KHz wide audio during one peak at 1058 UTC. Heard for 2+
hours, finally fading out about an hour after my local sunrise though
the carrier was still visible on the Perseus.

This might a good frequency to keep an eye on during late nights / early mornings.

Perseus video of this reception:

3219.55 KHz UNID Shortwave Pirate Station? Recevied in Michigan Perseus SDR - YouTube

k9rzz

I would guess Radio Morobe, Papua New Gunea before a pirate. They play western music over there. 25kw non-directional? Very possible.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I would guess Radio Morobe, Papua New Gunea before a pirate. They play western music over there. 25kw non-directional? Very possible.

I considered Radio Morobe, but then discounted it because there were no other Papua New Gunea (PNG) stations coming in on 90 meters, plus this one hung around a good hour after local sunrise before completely fading out. When I've heard PNG stations before, they are quickly gone after the sun comes up here.

I also checked some remote receivers along the West coast, thinking they would have better reception of 90 meter PNG stations, but I couldn't find this signal on any of them.

Maybe someone from down under can confirm (or deny) if Radio Morobe is actually on 3219.5 instead of their listed 3220 frequency, and if they frequently broadcast for hours without announcements or ID.

Thanks

k9rzz

If you search Radio Morobe as 3219 instead of 3220, you'll find a number of loggings spotting them on a variety of frequencies, so I suppose you could list them as 'variable'. Could be a low power station over here in Wisconsin, I suppose. I'd have no idea since the local Milwaukee, multi transmitter TIS, dominates that frequency for miles around.

Edit: How about WCKS-LP at Grand Valley State ... Allendale, MI? That's in your backyard, isn't it?

http://www.gvsu.edu/studentlife/stu...izationId=492294C9-AD9F-2048-4DDA740DD29E431C

Last edited:

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I continue to hear strange things in the 90m band. Right now at 0400 UTC I'm hearing a very weak station on 3279.8 KHz with heavy drum music. A bit earlier it sounded like an old time radio drama. Of course no IDs or announcements. Not sure if it's related to the station in the first post or not, but the signal level is the same. I suppose these could be harmonics from 1600-1700 khz. Just to convince myself that I'm not loosing it, I checked some remote receivers. Only one remote showed a weak carrier on 3279.8, but no audio.

w2xq

Mentor
Just curious. Do your 90/120m loggings coincide with the arrival or departure of the grey line terminator at your location? The Grey Line Map might give a clue as to what area of the world you may be hearing at different times of the year.

Last edited:

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Just curious. Do your 90/120m loggings coincide with the arrival or departure of the grey line terminator at your location? The Grey Line Map might give a clue as to what area of the world you may be hearing at different times of the year.

The 3219.55 KHz station was heard a good hour or so past local sunrise when I logged it. South Pacific tropical band stations fade within minutes after sunrise here, this wasn't the case with the mystery station.

The 3279.8 KHz station was heard in the middle of the night.

MW harmonics are probably a good possibility.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I continue to hear strange things in the 90m band. Right now at 0400 UTC I'm hearing a very weak station on 3279.8 KHz with heavy drum music. A bit earlier it sounded like an old time radio drama. Of course no IDs or announcements. Not sure if it's related to the station in the first post or not, but the signal level is the same. I suppose these could be harmonics from 1600-1700 khz. Just to convince myself that I'm not loosing it, I checked some remote receivers. Only one remote showed a weak carrier on 3279.8, but no audio.

Sorry for dredging up the old thread, but this one is back right now at 1125 UTC - 3279.8 KHz - sounds like a Foo Fighters song, no ID or announcements. But wait, it just got covered by China signing on 3280 KHz at 1130. Ecuador is also listed here and signs off at 1140 UTC, but it's now past 1140 and my mystery signal is still hanging in there, but reduced to just a het now (likewise for China), so I'm ruling out Ecuador.

Status
Not open for further replies.