WWCR Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondomusique

WWCR Nashville
Just managed to grab WWCR out of Nashville on 6875KHz, lots of fading but pretty impressed

WWCR & country music

Good longhaul DX. WWCR booms in for me, a pest really :O

I wonder why they broadcast on 6875 khz, outside the designated ITU International Broadcast bands 5900-6200 khz or 7200-7450 khz? They are in a band 6800-7000 with pirates, pescadores and ??

w2xq

Mentor
I don't remember the specifics any longer (I was WWCR's webmaster in the 1990's) but I think the FCC and HFCC gave over a narrow frequency range below 7 MHz on a non-interference basis. The segment is also popularly labeled as 41m and you'll see it on the frequency chart in the WRTH (p45 in the 2012 edition). Grab the HFCC schedule from A12 Data and you'll see WYFR is also in the mix. I can tell you that WWCR's antennas are all generally beamed NE (Eu/nAf primary targets). I don't know why I can't find the documentation on ITU: Committed to connecting the world, but then I don't recall them as being particularly diligent on web site maintenance. HTH.

mondomusique

Interesting that you maintained the WWCR website, that is a 'cool' gig for sure.

I checked p.45 in WRTH and that is the first time I've seen a reference to a slice of broadcast band just under 7000 khz, but there it is. Would like to know where it starts and ends in khz and if anyone can find a reference to it in ITU or FCC documentation I would be interested to check it out.

Also, if the WWCR antennas in Tennessee point NE, then zl2taw's DX reception in Australia is either long path around the world off the front of the antenna or (hardly) short path off the back, either an impressive DX reception.

w2xq

Mentor
I worked for WWCR during the tenure of the current owner/GM of WTWW. Well, with an appropriate receiver and antenna WWCR is routinely heard in Aus/NZ for at least a few hours a day on different frequencies. It is secondary coverage. I don't remember the times of the day anymore but you can figure it out playing with the terminator line and F2 hops and seasons of the year. I liken WWCR's secondary coverage in the Pacific to AIR being heard -- 11620 as I remember -- in NA during its evening broadcast targeted at Eu, or Radio Australia's NA reception on 41m when RA is beaming to the south Pacific. Of course both of us are in the prime lobes of WWCR antennas. Just for gollies, look at WWCR's antenna farm on Google Earth. HTH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.