6940 KHz Pirate "X-FM Shortwave" broadcasting in C-QUAM AM Stereo now

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
0120 UTC on 6940 KHz in C-QUAM Stereo right now. I'm using my SDR along with the Sodira program to decode the stereo. It's not everyday you hear C-QUAM stereo on shortwave!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There's a very good reason why you don't hear it on shortwave, when only part of a sideband is attenuated (as often happens to skywave signals reflecting off the ionosphere), an effect known as selective fading, very unpleasant effects result; hence, the C-QUAM system is not often if ever used for shortwave broadcasting, nor by stations which receive a great deal of skywave interference. Perhaps X-FM on AM doesn't hear beyond his air monitor, if he's so sophisticated with money to back it up he should get an old Kahn exciter, modify it and go full carrier ISB.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
There's a very good reason why you don't hear it on shortwave, when only part of a sideband is attenuated (as often happens to skywave signals reflecting off the ionosphere), an effect known as selective fading, very unpleasant effects result; hence, the C-QUAM system is not often if ever used for shortwave broadcasting, nor by stations which receive a great deal of skywave interference. Perhaps X-FM on AM doesn't hear beyond his air monitor, if he's so sophisticated with money to back it up he should get an old Kahn exciter, modify it and go full carrier ISB.

Good to have you back Warren.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I found "XFM Shortwave" on 6.925 AM Mode tonight. My first Pirate Radio Signal that I have found. Real good signal. He even gave his email address over the air for reception reports to be sent to him.
He left the air at 12 midnight Centeral time or 5:00 utc.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I found "XFM Shortwave" on 6.925 AM Mode tonight. My first Pirate Radio Signal that I have found. Real good signal. He even gave his email address over the air for reception reports to be sent to him.
He left the air at 12 midnight Centeral time or 5:00 utc.

Yes, he sounded good tonight again in C-QUAM AM stereo - very enjoyable show.

k9rzz

So, how do you generate this mode? A simple board and then transmitted over a typical AM transmitter? or is special modulation required on the RF side?

k9rzz

Okay ... that being noted ... if I pirate chose to run this mode (why on earth, I don't understand), would he have to modify his TS-430 to transmit it?

Michael-SATX

ridgescan, I was just lQQking at your shack photos and I have to say that your hallicrafters SX-88
is a pretty cool looking beast ~ WOW ! I'm curious how long the SX-88 was made and how much
did they go for brand new ? I take it that it has tubes ? Lastly, how long was hallicrafters around ?
ps ~ Man you got to keep your old faithful friend ~ they don't make em with character like that anymore !

ridgescan

ridgescan, I was just lQQking at your shack photos and I have to say that your hallicrafters SX-88
is a pretty cool looking beast ~ WOW ! I'm curious how long the SX-88 was made and how much
did they go for brand new ? I take it that it has tubes ? Lastly, how long was hallicrafters around ?
ps ~ Man you got to keep your old faithful friend ~ they don't make em with character like that anymore !
PMd you

kb8viv

RadioXFM.jpg

kb8viv

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good gawd, only a tube final and pi-network output can survive that SWR. He needs a resonant antenna, a good percentage of transmitter power is wasted overheating the final. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.