WYFR (Family Radio) to shut down by the end of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth_vader

"I guess the end of the world for them has arrived."

I'd say they're a couple years too late!

Weren't Family they the ones that also operate/d the North American relays of some of the foreign SW broadcasters?

gpsblake

They handled Radio Taiwan relays, maybe a few others... Seems all the relay stations are now closing in our hemisphere, Sackville, Bonaire, etc.... You figure some of these broadcasters would buy time from an American domestic for $50 an hour (although Brother Stair says he pays under $10 an hour in bulk) to relay broadcast. Even at 365 days a year, that's only about $18,000 a year in expense to an international broadcaster.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Just heard one of their transmitters today. I don't have my log near me but I'll check it later. I plan to send out a qsl(it's already filled out) so I should get it out ASAP I'm guessing.

gpsblake

On a related note, Taiwan is dismantling two of it's shortwave transmitters

Taiwan Responds on Shortwave Tower Takedown » The Epoch Times

Three US congressional members have written to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to protest plans to tear down two shortwave radio towers in Yunlin County’s Huwei Township (虎尾) and in Greater Tainan.
They say the towers — at least partly built with US funds — may still be needed to broadcast uncensored news into China.

Rest of article at link above

Status
Not open for further replies.