RG8X...
Ha!

Last edited:
Annnnnndddd Now..

Radio China International
6020khz utc 1204...

reporting on the Zimmerman verdict.
in english..

moderate fade,up n down from S7 to S20..
but again,understandable

9570KHZ UTC 152,,in english,how to speak
chinese...totally fantastic.

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Doing good!

I snagged Radio Australia recently with my Realistic DX-398 using only the whip antenna! I am located in Cape Cod, MA. It was fading quite a bit, but it was a thrill to hear a signal from all the way around the globe!

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
I've been using that antenna since the 80's; it works extremely well on VHF/UHF MIL-AIR, not to mention all the other stuff including trunking systems. I take one on trips and one is mounted in the attic. Some readers have sneered at this little puppy but I'm a happy customer. I can't say that I've used it on HF however, so I might have to try that out as well.

It is cool to hear broadcasts from across the Atlantic,let alone as far as Australia and China..
That discone is great,got it from a center city philadelphia radio shack,8.99 on red tag sale.

Best money ive spent on an antenna,..Agreed,vhf, hi & low uhf,,and i still cant believe it,HF!..

Im looking at making a mobile telescoping mast,,from PVC and Im probably going to plant
this antenna at the top..Ill be RX'n from our campsites!

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
Spectrum analysis

I finally got around to testing this little antenna. I hooked it up to a couple of my spectrum analyzers; one for shortwave (HP8557A) and the other for VHF/UHF (HP8559A). I used 25' of RG-59 BNC coax with a BNC adapter at the antenna which was mounted 6 ft off the ground. The results could be better with more height but I didn't want to lug my SAs out of my work shop into the house where I have the other identical antenna mounted in the attic. I've annotated the pictures so that it's easy to read. I've verified most of the signals with my R-71A and R-7000. Fairly good response all the way from 5 MHz to well above 5 GHz. I even picked up my router at 2.4 GHz and my cordless phone came in nicely at 5.8 GHz. Attached are the Shortwave and VHF/UHF spectrums.

Attachments

• Shortwave Scan.jpg
    Shortwave Scan.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 451
  • VHF-UHF Scan.jpg
    VHF-UHF Scan.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 454
Status
Not open for further replies.