Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMIG1

Good evening to everybody! I have another doubt with this strange broadcast. I was using an SDR located in the eastern part of the United States. As usually I received the WWV broadcast from Colorado with the WWVH broadcast from Hawaii and the (believe it or not) BPM broadcast from China behind the WWV broadcast. I have a question. Behind the three broadcasts I received another one that it's believed to be another time signal on the same frequency. The only time signal that broadcasts in 10 MHz besides WWV, WWVH and BPM is the Italcable time signal station in Italy. You can listen to it behind the time announcement voice of WWV.

Here's the audio file: Playing BPM, WWV, WWVH and UNID broadcast by TIME SIGNALS - picosong

By the way, I also have a doubt with this voice announcement. I think it's from the WWVH broadcast in Hawaii. Please listen and give your opinions to me.
Here's the WWVH broadcast announcement file:
Playing WWVH BEHIND WWV by TIME SIGNALS - picosong

The first URL is from the Italcable time signal doubt that I have, the second URL is the WWVH audio broadcast I received.

Token

Good evening to everybody! I have another doubt with this strange broadcast. I was using an SDR located in the eastern part of the United States. As usually I received the WWV broadcast from Colorado with the WWVH broadcast from Hawaii and the (believe it or not) BPM broadcast from China behind the WWV broadcast. I have a question. Behind the three broadcasts I received another one that it's believed to be another time signal on the same frequency. The only time signal that broadcasts in 10 MHz besides WWV, WWVH and BPM is the Italcable time signal station in Italy. You can listen to it behind the time announcement voice of WWV.

Here's the audio file: Playing BPM, WWV, WWVH and UNID broadcast by TIME SIGNALS - picosong

What is making you think you were hearing BPM on 10 MHz in this recording? When I listen to the recording I clearly hear WWV and Italcable. But I don’t ever hear anything I think is BPM, is it possible I am missing something you are hearing?

The WWV announced time at the end of the one minute recording was 0103 UTC. At that time a station in the east of the US would have dark path to about Uzbekistan / Afghanistan / Pakistan, well over 2000 km west of BPM. That is a tuff haul for 10 MHz, over 2000 km of daylight path and then ~10000 km in the dark path.

During the minute recorded (0102 to 0103 UTC) BPM would have been transmitting a 1 kHz 10 msec pulse every second and a 1 kHz 300 msec pulse on the minute, all on UTC time. There are two sets of pulses seen in the final 10 seconds before the minute mark, and both are 1 kHz tones. One pulse is 5 msec long and on UTC time every second, the other is a set of six 100 msec long pulses and delayed from UTC by about 250 msec. The 5 msec pule is WWV or WWVH, the six 100 msec long pulses only appears after the Italcable FSK and matches the format of Italcable. I don’t ever see or hear the 10 msec BPM pulses.

Now, BPM does periodically send 100 msec pulses offset from UTC, it sends these pulses set to UT1 time. And they may be audible in the 10 seconds before the minute mark. However BPM sends those only during the XX55 to XX59 minutes and the XX25 to XX29 minutes, they would not be sent in the XX02 minute.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.