RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Broadcast

Shortwave Broadcast - Discussions regarding shortwave broadcasters

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 9:56 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB46 View Post
And it thundered right in where I used to live, too, because one of VOA's antenna farms was in a neighboring town. In fact a local ham used to complain of front-end overload on his receiver due to his proximity to those antennas.
VOA boomed in at my place as well; Bethany was less than 100 miles down the road right next to WLW, and I could pick both of them up using a bathtub full of water as an antenna (I think I picked them up on the fillings in my teeth one time, but never could be sure).

BBC was my first catch on the old Grunow set in my grandparent's house, closely followed R. Moscow, and shortly thereafter I acquired a Heathkit Mohican (which I still have); that really opened my horizons.

I particularly enjoyed the "running dog imperialist" and "capitalist lackey" blather from the Communist countries as it was so vitriolic as to be comical at times, and even as a young teen barely aware of geopolitics, it was obvious propaganda.

On top of SWBC radio, North Korea was a fairly regular player on the utility bands with their RTTY news feeds until a few years ago. Those were always really fun to watch as they rolled up the screen.

Ah, the good old days. . . .

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
particularly enjoyed the "running dog imperialist" and "capitalist lackey" blather from the Communist countries as it was so vitriolic as to be comical at times, and even as a young teen barely aware of geopolitics, it was obvious propaganda.
It was really hard to take that stuff seriously. Even in my teens the phrasing sounded amateurish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
On top of SWBC radio, North Korea was a fairly regular player on the utility bands with their RTTY news feeds until a few years ago. Those were always really fun to watch as they rolled up the screen.
When I bought a little RTTY/CW reader they were the first RTTY signals I managed to decode. The device had a single-line, blue LED display, which of course scrolled continuously from side to side. It was driven by the receiver's audio output. Can't recall the maker of the device, but it was housed in a metal cabinet and had very basic features: Just RTTY at two or three baud rates, and CW.

PS: Just had a look at your bio on QRZ.com, and couldn't resist looking up that Tuna Tin 2 you built, since I had never heard of it. Wow! Reminds me of the kit I built for a one-tube regen receiver; the company (Ekeradio) supplied a common plastic wall switchplate to mount the thing on. The tube was as small as my little finger and was connected by pigtail leads rather than pins. It used a 22.5v hearing aid battery for the plate, and if I recall correctly, the filament was powered by a penlight battery.

Last edited by GB46; 05-16-2017 at 11:01 AM..