Weeding out Religious broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I'm surprised at the percentage of religious zealot formats that are represented among the available Shortwave broadcasts. Some guy on 5850 kHz is currently talking about Satan. I'm getting good (2 seconds or less) at picking out the overenthusiastic southern male voice and moving on.

Weaksignal

I'm surprised at the percentage of religious zealot formats that are represented among the available Shortwave broadcasts. Some guy on 5850 kHz is currently talking about Satan. I'm getting good (2 seconds or less) at picking out the overenthusiastic southern male voice and moving on.

Two seconds?... You're good.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I suppose freedom of speech IS frightening to some. There are even MORE evil secular perverts on lame-stream media. That's far more frightening. Luckily, we can.... (click) off

PrimeNumber

When it comes to domestic SW, it's all about the Golden Rule.

They got the gold to pay for the airtime, so they rule the airwaves.

FWIW, right now I happen to be listening to a SW show hosted by a genuine 151 proof practicing witch. All sorts of things out there, just spin the dial.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bring on the devils playground! 31meter band here we come...:twisted: 73, n9zas

Boombox

Why be surprised? Religious entities and the Chinese government are the only organizations interested in SW and HF broadcasting in English. And Radio Havana Cuba. The rest have gone the way of the Dodo.

In a sense, be glad they're there. Otherwise, all you would hear is static.

PrimeNumber

The rest have gone the way of the Dodo.
Almost, almost. WTWW is holding up the oldies music flag on 5.085 in the evening, with some paranormal talk starting at 11pm Central. WWCR still has its blues show on Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons, with a country show preceding on Saturday. Occasionally you can get a back-beam on the BBC's West African transmitter here in the States.

Kind of a sad remnant of what once was, but I'll take it anyway. Hands-down, it beats what's on the FM stations' robo-players around here.

After that.. communists and religious screamers.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
SW is always asking for people to buy up airtime.

If the OP is talking about Brother Scare he's been around for a hundred years.TThe Op might be entertained and get a few laughs if he just gives him a listen for a few minutes.
If he wants sort of interesting religious-ey stuff with a political edge Texe Marrs is on 4840 Sundays around 0400? UTC (9pm Central) I don't agree with a lot of his stuff but he does discuss some political topics and insider stuff that is pretty intelligent (sometimes) he's mentioned things on his show that the news doesn't pick up until a couple years later. 10 years ago he foretold Hilary would be running this year, and that Huma Abedin would be her best buddy (true) he said 2 years before it passed that the Affordable Care act would pass no questions (it did) anyway apologies for my soap box- again you may totally disagree with some of his things as *I* do, but sometimes you find diamonds in a sh#t pile.
But yes if it were not for the Chinese and the religious stuff the airwaves would be empty. Relax, grease your funny bone and have fun on SW. It's not exactly the most popular hobby these days.

ridgescan

Stuff in English I get here on a regular basis that is non-religious:
Voice Of America
BBC
R. Australia
R. New Zealand
DeutschWelle
Vatican Radio
Voice Of VietNam
Voice Of Korea
Voice Of Iran
Radio Philippines
Radio Romania
Voice Of Turkey
R. Havana
WTWW
WWCR
WRMI
CKZN
WBCQ
TruNews
I am sure I have missed some off the top of my head. Here is a list of English only BCs for you to try on
http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.txt

my point being that it's NOT just down to bible-thumpers and Asia, although they tend to appear as dominant out there.
You need to get a decent antenna up and outdoors!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Voice Of America
BBC
R. Australia
R. New Zealand
DeutschWelle
Vatican Radio
Voice Of VietNam
Voice Of Korea
Voice Of Iran
Radio Philippines
Radio Romania
Voice Of Turkey
R. Havana
WTWW
WWCR
WRMI
CKZN
WBCQ
TruNews

There are slim pickings out there on commercial SW that is TARGETED TO THE UNITED STATES. ^^^ Most if not all of those stations do not aim their transmitters towards us. So the broadcasts are not pleasant to listen to unless you like listening to static. It is nice to try to get a SWL card out of them though. I got one from Radio Havana and they had used a typewriter!

I do believe within 50 years they'll all be gone except for maybe Radio Havana Cuba. They are always 50 years behind the times.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I do believe within 50 years they'll all be gone except for maybe Radio Havana Cuba. They are always 50 years behind the times.

I would give it more like 7-10 years. The worldwide demand for shortwave is being replaced by mobile phones and streaming.

The cost of maintaining a terrestrial presence is immense and with fewer and fewer OTA listeners, it's on borrowed time.

Even in Cuba.

ridgescan

There are slim pickings out there on commercial SW that is TARGETED TO THE UNITED STATES. ^^^ Most if not all of those stations do not aim their transmitters towards us. So the broadcasts are not pleasant to listen to unless you like listening to static. It is nice to try to get a SWL card out of them though. I got one from Radio Havana and they had used a typewriter!

I have been know to crank rock, country and oldies on my SX-88 with that 10 watt push-pull tube engine with bass boost, which is provided by WTWW, VOA and R. Australia sometimes. With the roof antenna outside, and a little fade refinement from the sensitivity control, it can be very nice.
I also enjoy top-of-the-hour world news by VOA, BBC, Australia, NZ, Radio China Intl. English etc. but beyond great music not obtainable here anywhere locally, and world news, little program content interests me-it actually is the fun of DXing signals around the globe. I get a charge out of that. I intentionally refuse to listen to R.Habana though I listed it, because I don't like their attitude towards my great Country. And BBC programming is a bit too liberal-leaning for my taste.
To me, the problem with SWL is that many folks either cannot do an outdoor antenna, or simply don't want to spend the money and effort it takes to be able to get those signals that are not intended for the USA. So they buy a carry-along portable and expect the radio's whip to do it all-AND do it all indoors.
Propagation has been so good that this could be done, but not often enough to hold interest.

majoco

Stirrer
There aren't many transmitters pointing at the USofA these days. Propaganda is not what it used to be - there aren't many countries trying to convert the listen to their own doctrines anymore - the old flamethrowers of Radio Moscow and the Eastern bloc countries no longer exist. I expect Havana will fade now that O****a has shown the laurel branch. Most of the Radio China broadcasts you hear are intended for the domestic market and the N. Korea stuff is just sabre rattling. Radio Australia and New Zealand are just rebroadcasts of their domestic stuff too, it's cheap and easy. Just enjoy what you can get - better still, get a better receiver and antenna, there's lots of interesting stuff out there, but don't look for entertainment, you can get that from the TV!

Boombox

Stuff in English I get here on a regular basis that is non-religious:
Voice Of America
BBC
R. Australia
R. New Zealand
DeutschWelle
Vatican Radio
Voice Of VietNam
Voice Of Korea
Voice Of Iran
Radio Philippines
Radio Romania
Voice Of Turkey
R. Havana
WTWW
WWCR
WRMI
CKZN
WBCQ
TruNews
I am sure I have missed some off the top of my head. Here is a list of English only BCs for you to try on
http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.txt

my point being that it's NOT just down to bible-thumpers and Asia, although they tend to appear as dominant out there.
You need to get a decent antenna up and outdoors!

Thanks for the reminder list. I forgot about R. Australia and RNZI and R. Romania. Some of the others are harder to hear even regularly... CKZU sometimes doesn't even come in here in WA state.

Most of what I hear is off a short indoor wire, and most of what I listen to is foreign language broadcasts. Rare occasions I can hear the BBC and VOA in English from Africa.

Really miss Voice of Greece. They are only heard sporadically. I used to hear them -- and Turkey (in Turkish) wall to wall S4 or so, hours at a time -- and sadly the internet streams are dodgy.

dragon48

I've been listening on Shortwave for a few weeks now, and the only English language non-religious stuff I can pick up is:

China Radio International
Radio Cuba
Voice of Vietnam
WBCQ the Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.