RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Broadcast

Shortwave Broadcast - Discussions regarding shortwave broadcasters

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Voice Of Korea Jammed

For the past week, Voice of Korea has had a jammer over it on 9435 and 11710kHz. I wonder what country is doing it?
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2017, 6:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

interesting. china? maybe this is a sanction for threatening to test a nuke. lol
Old 04-17-2017, 3:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XTC View Post
interesting. china? maybe this is a sanction for threatening to test a nuke. lol
You are probably right. This is something china would most likely do. I'd laugh if it was us though. I'm still wondering when Voice Of Russia might return to the air with their English broadcasts out of their east coast.
Old 04-17-2017, 4:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

There was a very strong ROK signal in the 39m band last night, but I'm so sick of the marching music I didn't bother logging it!
Old 04-18-2017, 2:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
There was a very strong ROK signal in the 39m band last night, but I'm so sick of the marching music I didn't bother logging it!
Yeah Martin and those ones with the female operatic singers that sound like evil angels to me are pretty creepy too.
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
Yeah, every song they play sounds like a national anthem. Most of them are in minor keys, and some of them have a distinctly Russian flavor.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
For the past week, Voice of Korea has had a jammer over it on 9435 and 11710kHz. I wonder what country is doing it?
They come in quite strong here on 9435 during our early morning hours (13:00-14:00 UTC). Does the jamming signal sound like the whirring of an electric motor that's somehow off balance? That's what I hear, especially in the pauses, but it fails to block their transmissions, at least in my part of the world.

Last edited by GB46; 07-16-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-19-2018, 9:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB46 View Post
They come in quite strong here on 9435 during our early morning hours (13:00-14:00 UTC). Does the jamming signal sound like the whirring of an electric motor that's somehow off balance? That's what I hear, especially in the pauses, but it fails to block their transmissions, at least in my part of the world.
Very sorry I missed your post till now (getting old) but the jammer actually sounds like a Mars space ship (think UFO) like you'd hear in the old movies.
Old 07-20-2018, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
Very sorry I missed your post till now (getting old) but the jammer actually sounds like a Mars space ship (think UFO) like you'd hear in the old movies.
Hmmm... Yes, that's probably a better description. And the station's political commentaries sound almost as outdated, too. I'm reminded of the programming on Radio Moscow and Radio Peking back when I was in my teens See, you're not the only one who's getting old; "Peking" has morphed into "Beijing"!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Sorry about this late post, but after closer examination, I doubt if the Voice of Korea is being jammed. The sound in the background fades at the same rate as their signal, never blocks the audio, and can be heard on both 9435 and 11710 kHz. To me it sounds like some kind of generator noise, and seems to be coming from their own transmitters. I can also hear it between their hourly transmissions, because their carrier is still on the air during the intervals.

I'm no expert, but maybe they use a dedicated generator at their tranmitter site to provide enough power, and the generator's noise gets into the carrier somehow.
Old 10-22-2018, 3:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB46 View Post
Sorry about this late post, but after closer examination, I doubt if the Voice of Korea is being jammed. The sound in the background fades at the same rate as their signal, never blocks the audio, and can be heard on both 9435 and 11710 kHz. To me it sounds like some kind of generator noise, and seems to be coming from their own transmitters. I can also hear it between their hourly transmissions, because their carrier is still on the air during the intervals.

I'm no expert, but maybe they use a dedicated generator at their tranmitter site to provide enough power, and the generator's noise gets into the carrier somehow.
Interesting. Could be true especially regarding the simultaneous fading.
Old 10-22-2018, 3:35 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If their power plant is indeed getting into their transmitters and the noise isn't coming from a foreign source, then this isn't considered jamming. Given the state of the North's economy it wouldn't surprise me in the least. One report on WoR suggests that some coupling issues might be happening between VoK and the antennas used for the jamming transmissions. Could be a lot of things, frankly...

Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; 10-22-2018 at 3:42 PM..
Old 10-22-2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
If their power plant is indeed getting into their transmitters and the noise isn't coming from a foreign source, then this isn't considered jamming. Given the state of the North's economy it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I used to hear something like it in the background of Radio Moscow's broadcasts, but it was closer to a constant hum, and sounded lower in frequency than 60 hz. I thought at the time that Russia's AC power might have been 25 hz. and that RM's equipment didn't have sufficient filtering. At any rate, it was on all their frequencies, so I could always tell by that hum that I was tuned to R. Moscow -- no station ID required.

Similarly I can always identify R. Havana Cuba by their crappy audio. Even Arnie Coro's broadcasts sound bad; sometimes he sounds like he's yelling into a tin can from across the room.