NEW! WLO New broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the UDXF Yahoo list and GreenKeyers;
============================
Through the gracious accomodation of Rene Steigler, K4EDX, owner of WLO in Mobile AL, KLB north of Seattle, and KNN in Marina Del Rey, California, and his tecnical staff in Mobile,

---> WLO RTTY News is now on the air!! <---

We will run callbands for the next day or so, and then put on news traffic.

Frequency is 8473.000 KHz.

Power is 1000 watts. On-Air time is 24/7.

Signal reports are of great interest to us.

Those of you who can hear and/or copy WLO RTTY NEWS are urged to listen to WLO at various times of the day and night, and send us an e-mail noting your location (City and State) the time of day when you hear us, and the signal strength.

Please bear in mind that this is a commercial class of transmission, and the mark carrier frequency is lower than the space(what used to be called 'normal sense' jjz). This is opposite of amateur RTTY transmission, so you will either have to adjust your receiving apparatus to use reverse tones, or tune to the UPPER sideband.

Please send your signalreports to us at :

WLONEWS(at)olypen(dot)com

Note: I changed the email address slightly to restrict spambots jjz

Speaking for myself, this is a dream that after perhaps 14 years is finally coming true.

I believe it to be a bit of history, because other than the WA9XHN/WC2XPF experimental RTTY transmissions between 1999 and 2001, to my knowledge there has NEVER been any RTTY News transmissions aimed at a general audience/listenersh ip.

Because we are utilizing a maritime frequency, a portion of our transmission day will be using SITOR-B mode, which is the same as AMTOR-FEC.

A fellow in the marine electronics industry was quite pleased to hear of WLO RTTY NEWS and the inclusion of the SITOR-B mode, because all ships are required to have SITOR-B facilities aboard and are required to test them periodically.

He noted that the Coast Guard, who requires the tests, is often somewhat indifferent about assisting with SITOR-B tests, other than the NAVTEX transmissions, and that the presence of WLO RTTY NEWS will make his life easier.

He also stated that he was going to pass the word to all of his maritime customers that there is a new service available for their crews and/or passengers.

Who knows - this might turn out to be somewhat big.

Enjoy GreenKeyers - we're looking forward to your signal reports.

Thanks,

George - W7TTY- ITTY News - WLO NEWS Editor-In-Chief
=================================

Initial reports are that the RTTY is 45 baud/170 shift - make sure you send some reports. This is one of the very few times that a utility station is actually soliciting listener's help, so be sure to take advantage of it.

There are MANY digital decoding packages that can handle this very common speed/shift - we have just some of them listed here...

Utility Monitoring Central

best regards..Mike

Jimepage

FINALLY!!!!! Something interesting! I cant wait to hear this one. This is awesome to get news thru rtty! I love this idea. if anyone copies anything post times please. Great find!

SCPD

QRT
I'm receiving them pretty well here in Queens NY
23:01:56 GMT But on 8472u

This is what i have decoded from MULTIPSK in reverse 45/170shift

P
FS AGAIN MENTIONED CIED FOR CONGRSS TO

BF FWAYROLL TAXS, AND PASS FR
PZMQIO HELP

BOOETHE ECONOMY ABHCREAEE JOBSJT

HE ALSO MADE CLEARHELINT
MZTO
RMBITIOSSIENDING CUT
ORGGS TO BE CONSIDERED BY A BIPARTISAN CONGRESSIONALMMPTTEE WHICH

MUST
V
S RECOMMNDATIONS BY NOVEMBER.

+0#3, THIS COMMIT
NS FORWARD I AM GOING TO MAKINB ABLMEION THHAS MORE DEFICIT REDUCTIONTA CXMT TR
LLION

MMA THEY HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED TO OBTAIN,+ SAID OBAMA.

OBAMA SAID HE WILLKGNTINUE TO CALL FOR J MIX OF SPEN R
TS AMNE813SNIE, SAYING +EVERXLMNG IS RLCGTN THE TABLE+#

EFFORTS TO ANHIEVEBA
WMD DEFICIT REDUCTLMF@

AT A TOWN HAILVOTKYJN ILLILDOBAMA HEARD SOME OF THE DEEP

FRUSTRIT ONS PEOPLE HAVE WTTCONOMY, IOA
ING LUANMCBFWMMNBAIP
WL ESTATEWO

FHA+SINCE THE DEBTILING ARO ICHEO
, THE PHONES HAVE

STOPPEMW IVE CO CONSUMER CONFIDENCE AR A TXUSMHUHLE,+

A LAVINEM

REPUBLICANS ARE PREDICTING THOMUFOEPTEMBR SPEECH WILL BE

LITTLENVORA HGAN A RE-RUN OF EXPSTING PRLOAULS. A SPOKESMAHXJHOUSE OF REPRESBMIVES SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNKGQSAID THE COUNTRY NEEDS

A NLAN, NOT AN
TQDC SPEECP=

BUT LASP SLSO CLEAR SIGNS THAT REPUBLICAN LEADERU
PQ6

POTENTIAL NEGATIVE EFFECTS FROV W TINUATIOCPGC
CB

BICKE
G WITH OBAMA AF DEMOCRATS.

I chopped a lot of it. i did not want to fill the thread.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved to digital forum where I should have put this in the first place (Homer Simpson moment). Keep the reports coming and don't forget to send an email to WLO.

best regards..Mike

SCPD

QRT
Yep, heard it last night 8/19 @ 0300z in Seattle. Signal was S7 but would drop to S5 every now and then. About 2 hours later (at the usual 8 Mhz opening), it was S9 but would drop to S7-ish.

Couldn't get copy on the 7600's built-in RTTY decoder, but it was fine using MPSK and the Perseus.

Copy was about 75% accurate.

FYI, the signal is 45/170 and is quite narrow.

k8krh

I programmed it for rcv in the ft857, s5 to s7 all day and great copy, also sent a reception report, makes life more interesting in the maritime chnls.
DOCTOR/795

majoco

Stirrer
Not moving the "S" meter here at 0430z but Hamscope is locking on to the signal - I'll leave it running.

If I tune to 8743.0 USB I get the two tones equally spaced either side of 1000Hz.

Intellifax

Receiving it here in NW Ohio at 0245Z on 8470.87 USB 45/170, and also 8475.13 LSB using REV mode. Solid copy.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I read in a recent announcement in the UDXF that WLO will start issuing QSLs via email for these reports.

best regards..Mike

kruser

Premium Subscriber
100% copy here in Missouri!

Thanks for posting this info. Other than amateur rtty, this type of traffic is far and few between.

I now have a reason to break out the old hardware decoders again and see if they still work!

Cruiseomatic

Hearing something close to the given freqs. Its in SSB so I can't understand a thing. It is strong but then fades out then returns strong again. Using a really crappy Bell+Howell 9 band SW receiver. Anyone have a recommendation to replace this thing?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is a bit OT, but any good general coverage receiver (or any modern ham transceiver, which usually has a built in general coverage receiver) would probably be able to separate the sideband from the teletype broadcasts. These would include the old Icom R7x (R71 for an example) and Kenwood R-5000,and in the newer models, the Icom R75, the Alinco R8T (I haven't seen any details on it yet, but it could be a challenger for the R75).

That's just some examples - there are sadly fewer and fewer desktops, but the used market and hamfests are where you will find the older radios. You can start by taking a look at the reviews we have linked here...(anything in blue is a link)

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Is WLO still transmitting ?
Haven't heard it here for a while now

Yes, I can still copy them here in the central US.
Their signal is very weak though compared to what they were like a month or two back.

Still using the same alternating (rtty45/sitor mode a FEC) between each news item about.
Multipsk uses Amtor FEC-Navtex for the sitor a mode.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
What is UDXF Report
DOCTOR/795

I'm not sure on the UDXF report but there is a UDXF Yahoo Group where I imagine you can subscribe to some sort of emailed news bulletin of the same name.

The Yahoo Group can be found here:UDXF : Utility DXers Forum

And a direct link to the UDXF website: Utility DXers Forum

I'd think you will find a way to get the UDXF newsletter at one of those links!

edit: I don't know that there is an actual "report". I think they are just speaking of the Yahoo Group I linked above. It is a very active group for the utility DXer. Well worth joining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.