RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Data Decoding

Shortwave Data Decoding - Discussions regarding decoding digital signals on the HF bands, including HFDL, ALE, RTTY, CW, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 7:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation sync problems hf wefax

For quite a while now I have had problems with the NOAA hf wefaxs jumping sync. I thought it was my setup,
but calibration with wwv (using JVCom32 here) kept a straight line for an hour. I finally checked the fax
reception using another computer and rx simultaneously. The sync discontinuities exactly matched on both units. Finally sent an e-mail to noaa. They admitted to "technical difficulties". Some of the faxes were so garbled they were unusable. Wonder how fishing boats and such at sea aren't really p.o.ed.?

Eric WA3UYI
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2017, 9:05 AM

I'm having the same problem with the Boston & New Orleans stations, glad someone found out the problem. I thought I had a problem with my computer.

Allen
Old 09-15-2017, 5:52 PM

Oh wow I thought it was FLDigi screwing up. I too see the mess.
Old 09-18-2017, 2:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is this what you all are seeing? This is Fldigi 4.0.1 on OS X 10.12, RXing from 9108.100 (nominally 9110)
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 8:49 AM

Can someone tell me how often this issue is happening? I am the person who works directly on this for NWS and joined this forum to get a better understanding of the frequency of this issue every day from the user community.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2017, 9:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For me this happened all day yesterday. Haven't seen a transmission out of Boston yet this AM. OS2 Martinez from USCG CAMSLANT had good signal, but could replicate the issue yesterday per her email reply to me.

NOLA this morning on 8502.00 actual (8503.9 nominal) is doing this as of 0943 hrs EDT (1343 UTC)

Also, to help with debugging:
* Have tried this with FLDigi 4.0.1, FLDigi 3.23.13, and MultimodeCocoa 6.8.0. All jump at the same point, which tells me something before the computer is the issue.
* Receiving on a Yaesu FT-897D with SignaLinkUSB

Last edited by kk4jfj; 09-19-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Ok she just replied to me at 9:38AM ET and told me there were no issues from when she talked to me yesterday about 4:15PM ET and the time she sent me the email.

We are trying to isolate where the problem resides as we have ability to get them the charts on multiple paths for the dissemination over the radio bands.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Not sure why the messages I am sending are not showing up even after multiple hours but...

We are trying to isolate where the issue is but the USCG folks have said there are no issues with the images on their end since last night about 4:15 Eastern.
Old 09-19-2017, 1:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks, I appreciate it. More testing fwiw:

Trying this with a different radio and sound card with similar results

Drake R8A => MacPro 2008 line In on 6340 nominal (Boston) and 12750 nominal (Boston) have a strong signal, but getting the stepping occurring still. Tuning to 1.9kHz below the named band per the instructions (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf)
Old 09-19-2017, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhildreth View Post
Not sure why the messages I am sending are not showing up even after multiple hours but...

We are trying to isolate where the issue is but the USCG folks have said there are no issues with the images on their end since last night about 4:15 Eastern.
New users posts are subject to moderation. After you post a few more times they will show up immediately.
Old 09-19-2017, 6:38 PM

Ok... so for those checking the HFFax radio broadcast can you tel me if this issue has ceased? We made a change to where the USCG receives the data at about 4pm eastern or so.
Old 09-20-2017, 7:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

10:47PM EDT copy from 9.108.1 shows the problem persisting. This was received with the Drake R8A into the sound card
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks...we are working with the USCG to figure out where the issue is since they did switch to receive from our second data center.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM

One other thing...can you tell me when this issue started? We are trying to figure that out to see if either USCG or us did something at the time this started which may have caused the problem.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Was able to copy from Pt. Reyes around 11:30 EDT (1530UTC) on the Drake. It does not have this problem (only a few sections out of sync) but it was a relatively weak signal for me.

Tried to copy Kodiak per the published list at 1540UTC (1140 EDT) but couldn't get a read on anything.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Kodiak is not within our office at this point. THey disseminate out of AK where the three in the continental US are from our facilities in CO and MD.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The first poster discussed having seeing this for a while in late June of this year. The other two indivduals commented within the last week or so. (12 sep, 15 Sep)

W7HD posted about WEFAX on the 16th to a linux ham group and I started playing with it at that point. I have not had an image come across correctly. When I started troubleshooting, I found this thread. This seems to be the only place anyone else has had a sync issue along these lines that I can find.

Here's the Point Reyes copy (below the clear piece at the top). there's some sync jumping, but nothing along the lines of the Boston/NOLA issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by kk4jfj; 09-20-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's the discussion on LinuxHam:
https://groups.io/g/linuxham/topic/6031647#35203

The Fldigi developer and another operator are also replicating these issues with multiple decoders.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM

Alright I may be not here all the time posting but we are looking into the issue and if you want to post this fact in the other forum that is fine....this is now an issue being seen by management so we are trying to get to a resolution as quickly as possible.
Old 09-20-2017, 1:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you! I appreciate it. Please let me know if there's any additional testing we can provide (or if you'd like us to capture audio from the receivers etc)