Sevier County LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Is the Pigeon Forge Public Safety system now a part of the TACN? On August 4, around 1:30 AM, I was monitoring the Pigeon Forge trunked system near the Sevier County-Knox County line. While doing a Wildcard search with Pro106, I began receiving Cleveland, Tennessee PD, talk group 5528. Control channel was 769.80625 mHz. After about five minutes, the transmissions ceased. Cleveland PD uses the TACN, with transmissions originating from North Bradley, Oswald Dome, and Chattanooga Simulcast sites. Cleveland PD can occasionally be heard from other TACN sites. This was definitely not a mistaken identity. I have montored Cleveland PD since 1973, and their voices are like those of family members. Can any of the good folks in Sevier County explain?

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
Is the Pigeon Forge Public Safety system now a part of the TACN? On August 4, around 1:30 AM, I was monitoring the Pigeon Forge trunked system near the Sevier County-Knox County line. While doing a Wildcard search with Pro106, I began receiving Cleveland, Tennessee PD, talk group 5528. Control channel was 769.80625 mHz. After about five minutes, the transmissions ceased. Cleveland PD uses the TACN, with transmissions originating from North Bradley, Oswald Dome, and Chattanooga Simulcast sites. Cleveland PD can occasionally be heard from other TACN sites. This was definitely not a mistaken identity. I have montored Cleveland PD since 1973, and their voices are like those of family members. Can any of the good folks in Sevier County explain?

wow... cant say that i am surprised if this is true. check the CC and the syid and if the syid says 2A5 report to MILF or Thunderbolt or any of of the TN DB guys ASAP this may be the first of many systems to be folded into TACN

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
This was the game plan to merge this TRS into TACN. If you can run Pro96com, and check the System ID and WACN, please let us know? More importantly, please let us know the new site number as well.

73's

Ron

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
I was in Sevier County only for the weekend. I have returned to Cleveland, so I can't help with those numbers. I had used the RR database to program for the trip, and I was intrigued that a TRS would have only a police TG and a couple of tech TG's. I included a wildcard just to see what else might pop up. Never expected to hear my hometown police.

jfhtm350

The Pigeon Forge Public Safety system (P25) is not the Sevier Co LTR system as what this thread is for, just to clear things up.

769.80625 is definately the CC for the Pigeon Forge Public Safety system and Im guessing you could have recieved them from where you were although not much further away.
5528 is definately a talkgroup id for Cleveland Police in TACN. You may have stumbled upon something.

I may have dreamed this up but I think I remember someone posting some other kind of question just like this about the PFPS system. Ill run a search in a minute and see if I can find it.

If someone could confirm the system id, and site number from the PFPS systems control channel, that may confirm what you found.

------> I guess I was dreaming because I couldnt find anything in search.....

Last edited:

n4yek

For starters, if it is part of the statewide system, which I don't think it is, a police radio from the Cleveland Police department would have to affiliate with that tower for you to hear anything. That is a long haul for that to happen with all of the mountainous terrain between Cleveland and Pigeon Forge and the many other statewide system towers between the 2 cities, though nothing is impossible. It is possible an off-duty police officer may have been in Pigeon Forge with his agency radio, if it is linked to the state system and affiliated, but again I don't believe it is.
I know one person who would know for sure, maybe he will chime in or send me a PM and I can relay for him.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
It is not infrequent that we get Chattanooga units (from all services) in Nashville. When they affiliate with the TN Towers site you can hear the other units on that respective Chattanooga TG. So if someone from Cleveland was in the area could well have affiliated and allowed you to listen. Given the distance and terrain unlikely otherwise. 700/800 does not duct well..

n4yek

Just heard from a friend who works on the statewide system, he says the Pigeon Forge P25 system is NOT part of it so there was no way any radio from the TVRCS, Troopnet, TACN or what ever you want to call the state P25 system to communicate through the Pigeon Forge P25 tower, it is an independent system.

Last edited:

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber

May have figured it out.
The alt. CC for the Pigeon Forge system is the same freq as the CC for the TACN Oswald Dome site. Since the two frequencies are the same, I'm guessing you were picking up that Cleveland TG off the Oswald Dome tower site, and it was showing up on the PF site frequency you had programmed in. I am all the time picking up traffic off the Oswald Dome tower in Knoxville.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
PF has NOT yet merged thier system into TACN. That is going to happen in the future. Remember guys, with the TACN, as with ANY of the VLWATRS in any of the states, you can possibly hear any tg from any of the users anywhere on a system. All that is required is a single radio to travel into range of a site, and affiliate. You then could hear any of the tg's in that radio as long as its affiliated with aforementioned site. More common with say a state/county agency than a municipality, though with prisoner transfers/off duty travels/training travels/ etc ad infinitum, anything is possible. :)

VLWATRS - Very Large Wide Area TRS (Regional, Statewide, Multi State Regional, or the Nationwides)

123easy

PF has NOT yet merged thier system into TACN. That is going to happen in the future. Remember guys, with the TACN, as with ANY of the VLWATRS in any of the states, you can possibly hear any tg from any of the users anywhere on a system. All that is required is a single radio to travel into range of a site, and affiliate. You then could hear any of the tg's in that radio as long as its affiliated with aforementioned site. More common with say a state/county agency than a municipality, though with prisoner transfers/off duty travels/training travels/ etc ad infinitum, anything is possible. :)

VLWATRS - Very Large Wide Area TRS (Regional, Statewide, Multi State Regional, or the Nationwides)

Pigeon Forge Public Safety is NOT going to merge now or the near future to the TACN system

jfhtm350

May have figured it out.
The alt. CC for the Pigeon Forge system is the same freq as the CC for the TACN Oswald Dome site. Since the two frequencies are the same, I'm guessing you were picking up that Cleveland TG off the Oswald Dome tower site, and it was showing up on the PF site frequency you had programmed in. I am all the time picking up traffic off the Oswald Dome tower in Knoxville.

That makes sense. Having the PFPS control channels programmed in and being out of range of it (or the Oswald Dome site had a stronger signal), the scanner found the control channel from the Oswald Dome site and used it and displayed it as Pigeon Forge, thinking it was Pigeon Forge. Having the wildcard programmed in, it picked up everyone from the Oswald Dome site. Good Job.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense. Having the PFPS control channels programmed in and being out of range of it (or the Oswald Dome site had a stronger signal), the scanner found the control channel from the Oswald Dome site and used it and displayed it as Pigeon Forge, thinking it was Pigeon Forge. Having the wildcard programmed in, it picked up everyone from the Oswald Dome site. Good Job.

Thanks, I was looking at the PF info and doing some updates on the TACN to my scanner and noticed the same frequencies and just thought that might have been it. It's interesting that I pick up the Oswald Dome site (Polk Co.) in Knoxville, but I guess it is also interesting that I can pick up Altamont, both Murfreesboro sites, and others from Loudon and Monroe Counties too (as well as other sites in East TN).

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks to everyone who participated in answering my question. You guys are to be commended for the way you work together to stay on top of the most complicated monitoring environment in the state. You give true meaning to the term DISCUSSION forum. Without the information your forum provides, a visitor would be well-advised to leave his scanner at home.

netfire

Will be in the area of Gatinburg and Pigeon Forge on vacation next week. I mostly monitor fire/ems comm's. What system would i program into my PRO-96 to monitor the area FD/EMS comm's.

Thank you,

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Will be in the area of Gatinburg and Pigeon Forge on vacation next week. I mostly monitor fire/ems comm's. What system would i program into my PRO-96 to monitor the area FD/EMS comm's.

Thank you,

Check out this forum.
http://forums.radioreference.com/tennessee-radio-discussion-forum/267181-sevier-county.html

It links you to exactly what you are looking for.

And this is from another Sevier County forum on here:
From N4YEK:

"You can monitor Pigeon Forge police on P25 digital capable scanners. 99% of the volunteer fire departments are on the Land Air LTR trunk system. Sevier county sheriff, Sevierville Police, and Gatlinburg police are NXDN and can't be monitored by a scanner unless you have a discriminator tap and a program called DSD on your computer. Even then monitoring them is marginal at best."

Looks like most of the EMS is on the Land Air system too.

jfhtm350

Thank you,

Sounds like you may also be interested in the Lifestar frequencies:
Air Medical & State EMS Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You may also be interested in the following information because of the government shutdown:
Great Smoky Mountains preparing for possible government shutdown

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
I went there with my NEXEDGE radio not too long ago I was able to monitor them without the RAN I just unmuted into silent carrier squelch in digital sounded great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
I am a little confused if sevier county is using NXDN on an LTR trunking system with digital talkgroups or if they are using a NexEDGE digital trunked system or if they are using NXDN conventional, I have a Nexedge capable radio (Kenwood NX-300) for NXDN conventional in my area, I just wanted to know if it was true to have a digital LTR Talkgroup or not because I don't see that option in my programming software for anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.