• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Phase II upgrade * question *

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Unication Dave, I am just curious if the phase II firmware update is still on schedule for a release date in the 4th quarter of 2016? My listening areas " Maryland and Delaware " are quickly all changing over the p25 phase 2. Im sure 75% of the current G4 & G5 owners are in areas where these systems are coming online. I know your team is working on it as fast as possible and this question is meant as Q&A , not being aggressive or angry. I am just purely fact finding and anxiously awaiting this change to open up the full potential of my $900 -- $1000 pager. Thank You.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
I wish I had some good news for you but I'm afraid I do not. Phase II is still the number 1 thing on our road map but we had some other features that had higher priority and that has put us behind. I assure you that I am working very hard to get Phase II and will keep you informed as much as I can as we move forward.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I wish I had some good news for you but I'm afraid I do not. Phase II is still the number 1 thing on our road map but we had some other features that had higher priority and that has put us behind. I assure you that I am working very hard to get Phase II and will keep you informed as much as I can as we move forward.

Thank you Sir.

pdaustin

Hello David, would you be able to confirm that the G5 is indeed up-gradable to phase II. Some responses seem to indicate that phase II is hardware only but it seems phase II can be upgraded via firmware which is actually the reason I decided on buying this unit since my local system is phase II. Thanks!

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Hello David, would you be able to confirm that the G5 is indeed up-gradable to phase II. Some responses seem to indicate that phase II is hardware only but it seems phase II can be upgraded via firmware which is actually the reason I decided on buying this unit since my local system is phase II. Thanks!

The G4/G5 Hardware is compatible with phase II systems however it does not have the required ambe+2 vocoder required to decode the data stream. This will be simply a "firmware update" to implement the vocoder.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The G4/G5 Hardware is compatible with phase II systems however it does not have the required ambe+2 vocoder required to decode the data stream. This will be simply a "firmware update" to implement the vocoder.

Why is this statement confusing me. LOL
It doesnt have the hardware to decode the data stream yet a firmware update will implement the vocoder.
If the hardware isnt there how can a firmware update enable it?
sorry, maybe im missing something.

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Why is this statement confusing me. LOL
It doesnt have the hardware to decode the data stream yet a firmware update will implement the vocoder.
If the hardware isnt there how can a firmware update enable it?
sorry, maybe im missing something.

The vocoder is software not hardware. The G4/G5 has all hardware required to support Phase II.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Perfect. For some reason i was thinking the AMBE+2 was also hardware related.

Thank you Unication_David.

will the G4 ever do Phase-2? looking to buy a G4 or G5 in a few months don't need a Dual Band pager just the 700\800 for trunking.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
will the G4 ever do Phase-2? looking to buy a G4 or G5 in a few months don't need a Dual Band pager just the 700\800 for trunking.

asked and answered several times in the forums and in this thread.

Yes the G4 will do Phase 2 sometime in the future with a paid update.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
thanks IamSixNine going to buy one in a few months from now

Your welcome. I own a G4 and i like it. I think the software is still a tad bit of a work in progress but the good news is Unication has a member on the forums and he listens to us. Hardware wise i like it. The only complaint i have is slow processor or slow function movement. But as i said i still think its a work in progress and i am happy i got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.