Shop Rite Security, Elizabeth Nj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I noticed at the Shop Rite located in Elizabeth, NJ, security guards and the customer service workers carry radios with them. They are definitely radios and not nextels! Does anyone have ideas on what frequency they may use? I tried to close call them while doing my shopping recently, but they hardly use the radios and couldn't pick them up while I was there. There's nothing in the FCC database for Shop Rite. If anyone knows the actual security company they hire from, that may be a start.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Maybe they're using FRS/GMRS or MURS? i did notice radios sitting in chargers in a room at the courtesy desk at the Bayville,NJ Shop Rite.

Last edited:

Boss

Elizabeth Shop Rite

The Elizabeth Shop Rite and other Shop Rite's in the area are owned by Village Supermarkets Inc. located in Springfield NJ. Shop Rite stores are all independent owned and operated . A listing for Village super markets is 461.6125 with call letters of KD30060. Try that freq. next time and see you come up with.

Analogrules

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback everyone. I'll post on this board if I hear anything next time I'm there.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
I am a contractor and do work for all types of Supermarkets, including Shop Rites. Although these stores are franchised, many use the same radios. These are VHF HIGH, I know because I read one and programmed a zone in my ht1550 so I can talk to their "in house" facilities guys when I need to work with them. This is NOT for all stores, as I'm sure some are UHF. I've looked into these in the past on the FCC Database and cannot come up with a license name I am familiar with, but many of these franchises have multiple owners that may live/license out of state.

Good Luck, but here is a start

varying pl's depending upon location

TAS

464.550 - PL 71.9 - Shop-Rite of Little Falls

464.550 - PL 67.0 - Shop-Rite of Lyndhurst

TAS

GM

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that the individual stores in the Central NJ area seem to be on the MURS freq's. I have verified this in the Edison and Belmar locations.

TAS

GM, if you recall the freqs and PL’s we’ll post them to the appropriate business sections.

It appears that Shop-Rite frequently uses the standard Motorola UHF business channels with 464.550 being the preset channel 1. The Little Falls location may have changed from the preset PL of 67.0 to 71.9 because the Chilli’s just up the road (within line of sight) is using 464.550 with the PL of 67.0.

Interestingly, Shop-Rite has 132 locations in New Jersey alone and it appears that most of them use radios. Let see if we can get others to post their local Shop-Rite’s freqs and PL‘s to ascertain if this is the discernable pattern. Unfortunately, the business end of the hobby is often overlooked but could sometimes be fairly interesting to listen to.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I do not recall seeing radios in the Shop Rite in Toms River, but will give a good look on my next trip.

On a side note, I got this funny image of supermarket operations using radios.

Dispatcher: Code E, All units respond to the bread and milk aisle for an attack.
Unit 1: I'm arriving, send backup... I have old ladies with walkers hitting other patrons with loaves of bread.
Unit 2: I will be out on location for a while, two old ladies are fighting over the last gallon of milk. They are claiming the snow storm will stop milk production forever.
Dispatcher: I will send backup from the floral department, copy?

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I do not recall seeing radios in the Shop Rite in Toms River, but will give a good look on my next trip.

On a side note, I got this funny image of supermarket operations using radios.

Dispatcher: Code E, All units respond to the bread and milk aisle for an attack.
Unit 1: I'm arriving, send backup... I have old ladies with walkers hitting other patrons with loaves of bread.
Unit 2: I will be out on location for a while, two old ladies are fighting over the last gallon of milk. They are claiming the snow storm will stop milk production forever.
Dispatcher: I will send backup from the floral department, copy?

I wouldn't want backup from the floral department.

Now, the butcher department... yea, send them.

Analogrules

Update: I finally found the frequencies for Shop Rite in Elizabeth, NJ uses. I close-called the following today:

462.2875 - Automated Register Asst. Alert, also heard normal voice communications

462.3375 - 2 way voice communications (their Security Company, Sterling Security, also shares these same frequencies as the work staff)

They are also licensed on other frequencies as well (see link below), however these were the only 2 I caught activity on.

InterceptRadio.com FCC lookup for WQKZ984

Analogrules

I'm sure they do. They hide under the name Village Supermarket in the FCC db as their license name. There should be several listings. You'll have to scroll through and find your town. The best bet is to just close -call them on your radio inside the store. (The Shop Rite employees and the security most likely share the same frequency). They are all between 462 - 463 MHz

AC2OY

The Shop Rite in Nutley uses their radios quite frequently. I never even tried to inquire about the frequencies but I'm going to look in the database now.

radiomanNJ1

I would be more concerned if the Shoprite had armed security.

What would be worthwhile listening to in a grocery store? Spill in aisle 1?
Most stores just use their PA system. That is the one where the mgr. puts the mike right up to his mouth and shouts all cashiers to the front all cashiers to the front.

Analogrules

Although Shop Rite brand products come from Wakefern, I believe those FCC licenses specifying "Wakefern" is regarding their actual factory in Elizabeth, NJ, NOT Shop Rite (the store). The stores are under Village Supernarket. However, I noticed they have fewer active licenses in the fcc db compared to a couple years ago. It seems they are either forgetting to renew or the 3 licenses remaining are adequate enough to cover all stores in the state.

Radioman, for those living really close to a Shop Rite, monitoring their security (which shares the same channels as their employees) can be interesting because I know here in Elizabeth there are several cases of shoplifters and hearing security chasing after them on the radio can be exciting. Of course these are 1/4 watt radios that you can only pick up if you are literally living right next to one. Also, knowing the frequencies (even if they serve no purpose) is part of the hobby and helps to build the RR db.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Although Shop Rite brand products come from Wakefern, I believe those FCC licenses specifying "Wakefern" is regarding their actual factory in Elizabeth, NJ, NOT Shop Rite (the store). The stores are under Village Supernarket. However, I noticed they have fewer active licenses in the fcc db compared to a couple years ago. It seems they are either forgetting to renew or the 3 licenses remaining are adequate enough to cover all stores in the state.

Radioman, for those living really close to a Shop Rite, monitoring their security (which shares the same channels as their employees) can be interesting because I know here in Elizabeth there are several cases of shoplifters and hearing security chasing after them on the radio can be exciting. Of course these are 1/4 watt radios that you can only pick up if you are literally living right next to one. Also, knowing the frequencies (even if they serve no purpose) is part of the hobby and helps to build the RR db.

Yes that is correct that would be wakefern!!!

TAMR213

I believe those FCC licenses specifying "Wakefern" is regarding their actual factory in Elizabeth, NJ, NOT Shop Rite (the store). The stores are under Village Supernarket.

While the first part (regarding Wakeferns Elizabeth location) may be true, all stores may not necessarily be found under "Village Supermarkets" as Village Supermarkets is merely a member of the Wakefern/ShopRite Cooperative. For example, many ShopRite's here in Middlesex County are owned by "Saker ShopRite". There are also stores owned by others such as Inserra Supermarkets and Ronetco Supermarkets. I don't know enough about their radio usage to comment, but just figured I would put this info out there to help with anyones search.

Status
Not open for further replies.